• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What would it take for Yamaha to become #1 snowmobile sales?

Rash, don't get me wrong, I think Yamaha has to increase sales just to stay in the biz and I'm all for that. But to be #1. That means taking the majority of BRP sales away and I just don't see it happening in our lifetime. There are too many BRP loyalists out there that turn there nose at anything other than yellow and black. I know some, you probly know a few and I bet everybody on this site knows somebody with the belief that if it's not a ski doo it's not a snowmobile. Hell I feel the same way about my Yamaha! The only problem is and it's my biggest concern, that if these sleds coming out of TRF don't close the gap on overall quality from the sleds that came from Japan my sentiment may change.

Rash, don't get me wrong, I think Yamaha has to increase sales just to stay in the biz and I'm all for that. But to be #1. That means taking the majority of BRP sales away and I just don't see it happening in our lifetime. There are too many BRP loyalists out there that turn there nose at anything other than yellow and black. I know some, you probly know a few and I bet everybody on this site knows somebody with the belief that if it's not a ski doo it's not a snowmobile. Hell I feel the same way about my Yamaha! The only problem is and it's my biggest concern, that if these sleds coming out of TRF don't close the gap on overall quality from the sleds that came from Japan my sentiment may change.
Brp sells more 2s than 4s, and more 4s that Yamaha, I could care less which spot their in as long as they stay in business and keep making what I want, I don't think it would kill them if they took a few Que's from brp, like integrated belt storage, clutch adjustment, adjustable rizer, led lights and some onboard storage, I love my viper but Yamaha!!! Get your #*$&@ in gear, it's not that hard.

i think we all like what Yamaha brings to the table, wich is why we have them in our garage... but obviously they could easily up the game without that much effort, but you know, there's probably 2 or 3 guys that make the final decisions in the sled division at Yamaha , and it depends where they want to go and how much loose they have.. but at least like i said before, the more we talk, the better the chances that Yamaha listens...

As long as they sell enough sleds, parts & extra's to make enough $$$ so the big brass in Japan keep sleds in their stable, I don't care what # they are. I also like not having to guess which yellow sled in the parking lot is mine.

It would be interesting to analyze the Yamaha years and sales leading up to when they were number one. Original Phazer put them there but we all know buyers don't just switch brands overnight. Probably what worked then is what is needed now.

Brp sells more 2s than 4s, and more 4s that Yamaha, I could care less which spot their in as long as they stay in business and keep making what I want, I don't think it would kill them if they took a few Que's from brp, like integrated belt storage, clutch adjustment, adjustable rizer, led lights and some onboard storage, I love my viper but Yamaha!!! Get your #*$&@ in gear, it's not that hard.
I agree with this 100%. I'm not brand loyal to anyone that doesn't pay me to be. My last couple sleds were ski doos because at the time of purchase that's what I thought would fit me best and now I have a viper for the same reason. I don't regret the decision one bit but do definitely miss a couple of these nice little features I took for granted all those years

Get the cost down to where sleds are affordable to everyone.
I believe there are a lot of people that dont want the fastest or most fancy sled out there.
They just want to ride and get from one point to the next comfortably and reliably.
If yamaha could produce a line of sleds that was affordable and had relatively decent quality i believe that would be a game changer.
I believe Theres a huge market for affordable sleds i think every manufacturer is missing

Get the cost down to where sleds are affordable to everyone.
I believe there are a lot of people that dont want the fastest or most fancy sled out there.
They just want to ride and get from one point to the next comfortably and reliably.
If yamaha could produce a line of sleds that was affordable and had relatively decent quality i believe that would be a game changer.
I believe Theres a huge market for affordable sleds i think every manufacturer is missing

I don't know what you consider affordable. But that market is out there. Ski doo and Polaris both have affordable lines with the mxz 600 carb and the Indy line.

I don't know what you consider affordable. But that market is out there. Ski doo and Polaris both have affordable lines with the mxz 600 carb and the Indy line.
I don't see Yamaha competing in that low profit niche with a 4s. Nothing cheap about a doo ACE either. The Indy has that covered & Indy 600 2s pricing has been increasing each year. Yamaha knows what their core wants & it is not a no frillls sled. Look for a Vector & Apex replacement with Sidewinder being the new big dog.

Yamaha will never be #1.

They sold between 5000-10000 sleds last year. They are not going to make a 2 stroke engine, unless cat decides to buy the engines off yamaha for all their sleds.

Yamaha closed their sled division in Japan, so looks like no more japanese made sleds. Everything will likely be made in TRF at the Cat facility.

But cat already has its 2 stroke 860cc ready so it won't be from Yamaha, maybe Yamaha will borrow it from Cat?..that would be funny...

building a good 2 stroke 850cc can't be that much of a big project for a motor company like Yamaha..its just lack of will....

It would be interesting to analyze the Yamaha years and sales leading up to when they were number one. Original Phazer put them there but we all know buyers don't just switch brands overnight. Probably what worked then is what is needed now.
The ET series of sled's from the late 70'/early 80's paved the way for the Original Phazer's success. Those sled's were light, performed well, were very reliable compared to other sled's on the market, and brought better fit/finish than the competition as well. Couple that with the comparatively weak Japanese Yen of the time, which made the sled's a low cost option in the market. Those sled's were an exceptional value in the marketplace when viewed objectively from any angle. That period of time created the perfect storm for these sled's from Japan to surge ahead and catch the attention of buyers. Will we ever see all of those factors align like that again for Yamaha? It's kinda sad, but I doubt it.

so we need a light, inexpensive and reliable performing sled...easy...2 stroke.... or a 600cc motocycle motor in there...i know they can build it.. but yes,not just the high performance market, the entry level affordable sled also...

The ET series of sled's from the late 70'/early 80's paved the way for the Original Phazer's success. Those sled's were light, performed well, were very reliable compared to other sled's on the market, and brought better fit/finish than the competition as well. Couple that with the comparatively weak Japanese Yen of the time, which made the sled's a low cost option in the market. Those sled's were an exceptional value in the marketplace when viewed objectively from any angle. That period of time created the perfect storm for these sled's from Japan to surge ahead and catch the attention of buyers. Will we ever see all of those factors align like that again for Yamaha? It's kinda sad, but I doubt it.
I remember them. Was amazing the difference from the rest of the sleds. Just so refined. Maybe that Carbon Fibre Chassis and Electric is the next step. Or 2 stroke electric hybrid like automobiles seem to be headed.

Back