• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What's the best grease to use for extreme cold?

CCG71

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 Yamaha Sidewinder R-TX LE
What's the best grease to use for extreme cold?

This is much like a "what's the best oil" post but I use Amsoil Synthetic Water Resistant Grease in pretty much everything.

Lucas Red and Tacky here.

Thanks, I heard that is a good one.

Okay so without getting too technical, you likely want a grease with a NLGI # of 0 and a category rating of GB which has an operating temperature range of -40C to 120C. Not all greases list the category on the labeling, but almost all will list the NLGI #. see if this helps
1639098024474.png

An NLGI # 0 grease is considered a semmi-fluid grease and has excellent cold pumpability (which is basically it's ability to 'flow' through tubing and hoses etc.) If you have ever seen a backhoe or some other heavy equipment that has an on-board auto greaser in the winter, it is likely using a 0 or 00 grease in that system. So if it can flow through those tiny auto grease lines, it will likely 'flow' within any bearing it is pumped into. Almost all grease manufacturers have such greases in their line-up so brand has little too do with performance in this context.

Okay so without getting too technical, you likely want a grease with a NLGI # of 0 and a category rating of GB which has an operating temperature range of -40C to 120C. Not all greases list the category on the labeling, but almost all will list the NLGI #. see if this helps View attachment 164182
An NLGI # 0 grease is considered a semmi-fluid grease and has excellent cold pumpability (which is basically it's ability to 'flow' through tubing and hoses etc.) If you have ever seen a backhoe or some other heavy equipment that has an on-board auto greaser in the winter, it is likely using a 0 or 00 grease in that system. So if it can flow through those tiny auto grease lines, it will likely 'flow' within any bearing it is pumped into. Almost all grease manufacturers have such greases in their line-up so brand has little too do with performance in this context.
The John Deere synthetic grease that I posted is an NLGI #2 but works for -45F to 450F (-42.7C to 232
Screenshot_20211209-210111.png
C)

1639148245767.png
i have been using this stuff for over 25 years.

I'll add in my favorite grease dispensing tool.

grease gun.PNG

The John Deere synthetic grease that I posted is an NLGI #2 but works for -45F to 450F (-42.7C to 232View attachment 164183C)
Yep, but as you stated, the stuff you reference is synthetic which typically (but not always) performs under extreme (cold/hot) conditions better as the base oil used to make the grease is synthetic. There is no doubt that the use of synthetic oils can be a game changer when used in the proper scenarios, but is not for everything or everybody. If the stuff you use is an NLGI #2 with those operating parameters, just imagine what an NLGI #0 of that brand would have for operating parameters. Also the grease you show here is a category GC-LB which is considered to be of the 'best performance' of the categories, so just like engine oils they have categories. Wheel bearing grease categories are GA, GB, and GC, with the performance and operating parameters of each being better as the last digit increases (A better then B etc). So you got a good one. But even with that a NLGI #2 is still thicker then a NLGI #0.

Back