• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Who do u guys find to be the most irritating?

It's a shame as Yamaha owners that we have to do so much more to make our sleds the way we want. That GSX Doo would have been stock and cost thousands less. Just needs a little front end work to reduce the twitchiness/darting, otherwise it's a great sled.

Thankfully I paid thousands less for the Apex ( $7,000 ... one year old and 341 miles on the clock) so I didn't mind investing a little coin to make it as close to perfect as it is now.

The Doo has recieved Snowtrackers (no more twitchy front end) and better shocks. It now is real close to perfect too...

I love to ride either sled!

Those that don't have anything better to say have to find a different riding partner.

2014 viper, mpi
2009 Phazer 144"

I own both Apex an a 1200 Doo. The Doo (GSX SE) gives a fantastic ride and is a blast to drive! I almost sold the Apex and got another 1200 for myself but chose rather to make my Ape the best all around sled I could...for my type of riding. EPS was the deciding factor.

For this season I added an M-20 Airwave to the rear, touring windshield and WRP seat. All I (and anyone else that climbs aboard) can say is "Wow, I didn't know riding could be so easy! It is really nice to put on a high mileage day without the physical price tag!

BTW the 130 hp 1200 uses slightly more gas than my Apex but it costs less. It burns regular.

Your apex also burns regular

The only competition for the Yamaha motors is Yamaha themselves, ie: 2015 r1 200hp street version, 230hp race version. It is very easy to get these numbers from this motor and still has the reliability. When I was racing for Kawasaki Canada from 05 to 2011 we had to conform to hp rules of 185hp at the rear wheel in the superbike class controlled through ecu, once all parameters were set free it made over 200 at the rear wheel. So it doesn't surprise me at all that these numbers are possible.

Tail light chasers are the most irritating! They run about 30-40 feet apart from each other on the trail or less. Last night I met an oncoming sled so I slowed down and stayed to right side of trail like any sane person would do. Lead sled goes by then a head light appears in the snow dust in the middle of the trail and goes by, then a third sled appears coming straight at me. I turned off trail up over the bank into the powder I went. By luck just happened to be in an area with no trees trailside. This was a split second reaction to avoid a head on from someone chasing a taillight in the snowdust in the dark!

This is a good question. I guess Skidoo is still ticked off from the pasting Yamaha has given them over the years oval racing. Lately it has gotten nasty with the weight thing started by Skidoo's marketing department. It has the same tone as Harley Davidson people in the summer with the other bike brands out there. And now it has gotten worse since Polaris brought Indian motorcycles back onto a sound financial footing. The Indian Harley wars will only get nastier.

I dont think anyone makes a bad sled. There just different. I rode polaris for the last 20 years and bought a viper last year. My friends gave me a hard time but after a year one of my friends who has been on polaris sence 71 rode my sled last weekend and picked up his new viper yesterday. They all have there place and all are fun! Just need to get out there and ride.

I just spent the last week in the western UP of Michigan riding. There was much more traffic than normal up there being we have zilch for snow in Minnesota and it's very sparse in many areas of Wisconsin, Illinois...etc. With the high numbers of people we encountered I'd have to say I ran into my share of jerks. People who were very inconsiderate on the trails, little use of hand signals. I saw some hot heads at the gas pumps and one crew we kept running into in the food/pub stops that thought they were the gods of snowmobiling, basically laughing at us for riding heavy Yamaha's........guess what most of them were riding? Yellow!! Now not all Doo riders act like this, we did meet a few cool one's too. Just think there are more Doo's out there.

We did have a couple other crazy events happen too. This past Wednesday we were riding from Pat's in Greenland to Calumet to eat in a total whiteout blizzard. We could not see in front of our machines more than 10-15', it was down right creepy as you came upon oncoming traffic. We tried to stay far right and had our speeds reduced greatly. Here two fools on newer turbo Cats go blowing by our left side in blind conditions. First thing I thought was those guys are nutz and someone is going to get killed. It wasn't two minutes and we came upon a serious crash. Here it was a father and son in a group from Southern Indiana, the father was leading, blew a stop sign, slammed on the brakes and slid sideways......the kid was following him at about 70 mph and t-boned the dad and was sent about 60' into the woods. Both sleds totaled, parts all over the trail, they were hurting real bad but were alive. We had to call 911 and have rescue crews come and get them out of there. They were pretty humble and I was glad no one got killed. The two perpetrators were the only one's hurt.

Also saw another guy on rental sled run some people off the trail the next day. Not sure of those events being we came up late on the situation but the trail was way too narrow to be riding real fast. People need to use common sense and remember they are not the only one on the trail.

10404434_10203917736849773_8675193169838906719_n.jpg

Yeah people need to use some common sense when the trails are busy like that. Especially with the limited visibility you mentioned. I just don't like the idea of saying or thinking everyone riding a Doo is a jerk. Of course your going to see more jerks riding Doo's when Ski Doo is the number one selling brand, so of course there's more people on them. I know some really good people that own a Ski Doo including my father so this bashing a people because of what they ride bothers me.

Yeah people need to use some common sense when the trails are busy like that. Especially with the limited visibility you mentioned. I just don't like the idea of saying or thinking everyone riding a Doo is a jerk. Of course your going to see more jerks riding Doo's when Ski Doo is the number one selling brand, so of course there's more people on them. I know some really good people that own a Ski Doo including my father so this bashing a people because of what they ride bothers me.

I did throw a disclaimer that not all act like this . I think it comes from the constant advertising by Ski Doo pointing out the Yamaha weight thing, even though there are clear certain advantages to a 4 stroke. Also being #1 goes with the territory, I remember when Poo was #1 the constant ribbing I took for riding a pogo stick Yamaha.As for the 4 strokes the only disadvantage is definitely the weight which also adds to the handling. The running quality, no smoke or injector oil, broader torque curves and motor longevity is the huge plus to a 4-S. Ski Doo knows this so they offer the 600 and 900 ACE and the 1200 triple. They just don't want to give their buyers the whole package so it doesn't out shine their 2 strokes.

The other thing I didn't mention....I hate to pick on demographics but the people with the wrecked Turbos and the other accident we encountered....all from southern Indiana, Illinois, Ohio......southern accents. I found that several people I ran across that didn't use hand signals and wouldn't move over and slow down during oncoming traffic were from the south. I can honestly say there is no way these people have the seat time the people in the snow belts have. Inexperienced riders.......People need to remember these machines are fast and you have no protection, you get in a wreck and you are going to get hurt or worse.

Yeah if someone doesn't have much experience riding a sled going fast on trails they don't know, that is a recipe for disaster. Also journeyman I wasn't picking on your post in particular, but some of the post have been very negative. I think this site should remain positive. Who cares if other riders pick on our heavy 4 strokes. As long as I'm happy with my Warrior I could care less what someone else says or thinks.

Heritage hit the nail on the head.....all I recall is doo talking down the 4 strokes Yamaha was putting out and how the 2 strokes rule and yet when doo finally put a 4 stroke on the trail it was magically the best 4 stroke ever produced.....lol......in the same breath Steiner also hit the nail on the head.....I too am not into bashing other sledders but am only into trying to get more riders to convert to Yamaha.....it's all about the sport and keeping it going strong......it's not about what you ride but about the fact that you do ride......I will tell you that I had yet another successful weekend by converting another doo rider to Yamaha....lol......after a buddy of mine had his doo burn up on a lake late last week and he needed something to ride in a hurry for the up and coming weekend a friend of mine sold him his 2009 Nytro XTX and the man was texting me all weekend about how he's already bleeding blue and is looking to now sell his sons MXZ and buy another Yamaha.....lol......but I must admit like Heritage has questioned the doo riders do have fat heads and I love nothing more than putting them in there place on the trails.....

Back