• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

wix (napa) filter

It seems it is longer ,
anyone else use this filter, I did see the thread where some guy blew a motor because the longer filter Hit something

Attachments

• IMAG0084.jpg
    IMAG0084.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMAG0085.jpg
    IMAG0085.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 116

I use yamaha filter sure they are more money but yamaha designed it for the sled and I look at it why save 10 or 15 bucks when used on a 5000 dollar motor or in my case 8000 with turbo kit... imo lol

Well a little research shows that napa(wix) use the same filter for both the nytro and the apex motors.. I believe the apex filter, 5gh... Is a little longer than the nytro filter 5dm.. If I remember correctly.

I wouldn't risk using a longer oil filter. Remember, the Nytro's bottom engine cover is mostly plastic. You hit anything and you risk piercing/bending/breaking the oil filter and quickly lose oil...followed by your engine.

I wouldn't risk using a longer oil filter. Remember, the Nytro's bottom engine cover is mostly plastic. You hit anything and you risk piercing/bending/breaking the oil filter and quickly lose oil...followed by your engine.

.....Mountain Tech skid plate, worth the coin ;)

The Napa filter is 3/4" longer and provides more filtration. It is a high quality filter. Every Nytro should have the stock "engine protector" removed and replaced with a proper skid plate. The OEM engine protector could be aptly nicknamed the "suicidal skid plate" because it has been responsible for a few engine deaths. Take the time to read the thread "Not all skid plates are created equal". The link is below in my signature.

Or why not just run the Yamaha filter? It only has to be changed every 3rd oil change. Most people don't even put 12000kms on a sled for as long as they own it, so don't see a point in saving a few bucks on a filter. These engines will outlast the chassis, as long as they never lose oil pressure while running.

Those skid plates do look nice however, and would be a must if you get off trail a bit.

Or why not just run the Yamaha filter? It only has to be changed every 3rd oil change. Most people don't even put 12000kms on a sled for as long as they own it, so don't see a point in saving a few bucks on a filter. These engines will outlast the chassis, as long as they never lose oil pressure while running.

Those skid plates do look nice however, and would be a must if you get off trail a bit.

Some people don't have easy access to an OEM Yamaha filter when they need it. I change the filter every oil change. Don't think that because you don't go off trail, replacement of the POS factory piece of plastic isn't necessary.

I agree that the factory skidplate is a POS, but the only instances I could find of a stock skid plate hitting the oil filter, is when a longer filter is used. (I will probably order one your skidplates before next season, exchange and shipping rates suck for us in Canada tho)

And while changing the filter every oil change isnt a bad thing, its unnecessary. If using synthetic oil, you can probably change your oil every 10000 miles and never have an issue.

Big Phil , that's 10,000 miles? I would not do that, oil sitting all summer in an engine is not good you have ethanoal in the gas and lots of it . not sure were you are but we have it in our gas .I would change it every season.

I never said I would or should change my oil every 10000 miles, just that it wouldn't cause any harm to the motor. I change mine every season.

Also not sure what ethanol in gas has to do with changing oil. But generally in Ontario, regular is 10% ethanol, and 91 octane is ethanol free. A lot of older gas stations still have ethanol free as well as marinas.

Some people don't have easy access to an OEM Yamaha filter when they need it. I change the filter every oil change. Don't think that because you don't go off trail, replacement of the POS factory piece of plastic isn't necessary.

I used the factory skid plate to deflect spraying water from my sump pump once. Worked great!! Also fits nicely on the shelf. On trail, off trail, in the garage, on the trailer.... doesn't matter where your Nytro is, Mountaintech skid plate is the way to go!

I would definitely stick to the Yamaha filter!

Back