• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XTX Limiter straps torn

I have my suspension tore out now and was looking at the cross shaft where the limiter strap goes around, Why cant a person just have a section as wide as the strap machined out on the shaft so the strap sits into the groove, not allowing the lugs to make contact with it, ,For added support i am going to have a rod welded to top of cross shaft . I will post pictures after my buddy gets everything machined and welded.

I raised the shaft a bit and used wider polaris straps and are folded in thirds

Attachments

• 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    308.6 KB · Views: 664
my $0.02 after breaking more than 8 straps last season and only breaking 1 this year (it broke in the middle of the strap too):
1) use a larger washer to pinch the strap more around the shaft.
2) suspension calibration seems to play a part. horrible valving last year and previously on stockers but after revavle/spring, no issues.

just my observations

I agree with under rebound dampening. 5000 on stock straps, 100 on the star kit and snapped them clean in middle. I now have it set up to be an inch longer than stock and they have held for 2000

There new straps for nytro ..they have an hourglass shape around the bottom bar and bigger washers ..since i got them put on it has;nt wore at all..ps the washer where a recall on my 2011 nytro xtx ..the old washers where to small

straps

I just had my front limiter strap lower tube welded up using a old cross shaft , I spaced the shafts far enough apart to get the strap through, it raises the strap up and away from track, I adjusted it so the arm is in the same positon as it was when straps were around original shaft; I am thinking about adding a saftey cable like some other TY members have done just for a piece of mind incase straps would break. Its going to be a long summer until i can test and check the results, I think it should help the strap breakage issue. I cant get pictures to load for anything, I can email pics if anyone wants to see.:Rockon:

i had had the same problem with torn straps so i went to a local hardward store and purchased some rubber hose with a thick wall. I replace the stock rubber spacers with this hose and since it was thicker the straps couldn't move side to side.

no issue after and this was a very cheap fix.

Some very excellent info on these 12 pages, I thought I would chime in as well since Im dealing with broken straps as well. My right one snapped in half and the left one was starting to get chewed at the hourglass on the bottom facing the track. I thought maybe it was just my machine but after buying a completely new(but used 3,000km) apex xtx suspension without the rear shock I used the straps off that one and the right one was mint and the left one is chewing in the exact same place mine is. Had I not changed my left one I would be looking for a replacement right quick I imagine. Kind of a piss off but it was even worse when the dealer/owner says to me (owning all my machines in my signature in less than 10 years) "that other owners that ride harder than me have had no problems and have 10 times the mileage." That may be so but just like anything else there has to be a reason why this is happening. He also said that lots of customers also change their drive belts every 500kms or every season which is 2/3's more than you will pay to replace the limiter straps every year. That is true as well but that is terrible logically since two different suspensions from two different dealers are showing the same wear in the same areas. Everything is all stock. Put on 4,000kms this year. Going back to changing the drive belts....a fool and his money are soon parted...I have 6,000kms on the original belt and shimmed twice while still pulling 193kmh+ or close to 120mph.

My 2 straps just broke again last week. Hit a bumpy section of trail and I could actually feel the difference in handling once it happened this time (thank heavens).

My safety cable worked and I was able to limp it home...without blowing my entire skid apart....again :die

I had done the kkraus double straps, but both straps broke at the bottom around the shaft this time.

I'm so sick of this, I finally came up with a permanent solution I think.

7x2l.jpg

ngbr.jpg

The tabs keep the strap located between the lugs on the track permanently, and when I installed the shaft back into the sled, I angled it back slightly so it forces the straps to bend to the back of the skid, and not forward and into the cogs.

600kms so far on this setup so lets hope :drink:

what/where do people find teh best place to make there own limiter straps material wise? I have what I believe is stock straps and its starting to wear down by the hour glass shape on the bottom of both below the washer. I have the skid out and rather make it right now than deal with it mid season.

8600 Miles on my original fix and my straps still look like brand new!
Agreed my friend your fix does work however I have over 2000 mile since added your fix...no side wear but I do notice (both sides) strap wear (getting thin) under the shaft between the track/shaft in the hour glass shaped area...I will have to replace them for fear of breakage...what is causing this ???

My 2 straps just broke again last week. Hit a bumpy section of trail and I could actually feel the difference in handling once it happened this time (thank heavens).

My safety cable worked and I was able to limp it home...without blowing my entire skid apart....again :die

I had done the kkraus double straps, but both straps broke at the bottom around the shaft this time.

7x2l.jpg

ngbr.jpg

The tabs keep the strap located between the lugs on the track permanently, and when I installed the shaft back into the sled, I angled it back slightly so it forces the straps to bend to the back of the skid, and not forward and into the cogs.

7x2l.jpg

ngbr.jpg

I have the same area of wear even with the double up strap method...have my suspension out as of now, will need to replace the straps...you could be on to something!!!

i used coller from 2002 600 edge classic i has tab on one side and their thick strap it seems holding plus my shocks revalved by hygear

Don't know why everyone keeps talking about the new straps having an hour glass shape, I just changed my straps last weekend, they were original and they had an hourglass shape at the bottom.

I have over 14,000 km on the nytro, added some material to the originals around 7500 km mark. Changed them this year doing some maintenance on the skid, one was worn through, the only thing holding it together was the piece I added.

Back