• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XTX Limiter straps torn

I attached some pictures of how the straps are getting tore up. This was only a little over 100 miles. The only change was I moved the top bolt, that opened up more free space, which I believe allowed the straps to rotate on the shaft. I don't know if you can see from the pictures, but there are indent marks on the drive lugs from the washers getting bent over. These are all pictures from the top shaft only, the bottom was wearing also, but I think I have that fixed. The hyfax is getting thin, will have to replace that soon.

That washer is about twice the size you need. Downsize it so it won't catch on the nubs!

I think the washer size is part of the problem, will see if I can find something smaller in size, but maybe a little thicker so they will be stronger. I am going to try the double strap fix & reduce the washer size and hopefully that will take care of the issue.

when you tighten the straps you're supposed to move the bolt up a hole (as you pull down on strap) so the extra strap is hanging down and the loop doesn't get bigger. I went two holes tighter than stock and loop is the same with extra strap hanging down. This is probably 75% of your problem. the other 25% is poor design by Yamaha.

12meter joe,
I went to check my straps, you can tell in picture 1 where the washer was that I moved down one hole. Picture 2 is the other side, it only has one hole. I see what you are saying about moving the bolt to the second hole in the back to allow the extra strap to hang down to keep it all tight, but these straps don't have more holes in the rear that would allow me to put the bolt thru the second hole; unless I am looking at this wrong. Do I have homemade straps with not enough holes? Could you post a picture of yours to see what I am doing wrong? Thanks

IMG_1088.JPG IMG_1089.JPG

Last edited:
This is starting to bother me now! Lol
I'm gonna go to my sled this weekend and take a look. I'm almost positive that's how mine was. Not to mention I never had that big loop on top to slop around. I'll take some pictures and post them to compare.

The straps look correct to me. One hole on the end and three adjuster holes on the inside. If you look at the hole for the longest setting you will see the indent from an original size washer. When you tighten the straps with the proper fasteners the washer will be firmly seated and sunken into the strap not allowing it to contact the track nubs like that.

The washers are definitely not original and too large! Like rooster pointed out you can see the original washer indents.

The larger washer was acutally yamaha's fix for the rotating strap. They put a larger washer inplace to hold the top tight.

When I first looked at the pics I wanted to say that they're upside down but can't remember for 100% sure. Been a bit since I've looked at them.

Looks to me like the cure is worst that the cause!
I would not run huge washers like that, especially after seeing track damage. I checked my straps regular and never see any damage to warrant any oversized washers. I would run the stock size!

My 2013 xtx appears to have the mach 9 fix on the upper shaft (2 brackets). And the lower shaft appears to be raised up a bit higher on the rail. I am assuming this is yamahas redesign. Anyone still having strap issues on the 13 and 14 models?

Attachments

• 20150917_182741.jpg
    20150917_182741.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 240
  • 20150917_183035.jpg
    20150917_183035.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 274
Thats what I wanted to hear, I have 0 kilometers on mine, one less thing to worry about.

0 km, nice!
Put in the Grizz gusset kit and get a Mountaintech skid plate and you will have no worries.

Theyre on my wish list but the US dollar is making me think twice. If u could only do 1 this season which takes priority?

Back