• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XtX Skid Relocate

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 nytro xtx
I'm sure it's been done by many but, I'm considering drilling some holes in the stock rear skid mounting brackets. It looks like I can get 1-1 1/2" higher. I know the Jre relocate is an option but Was just curious if anyone has had any success doing this. I got my sled dialed really nice to my liking but would like to get the C.O.G down a hair.

I have the JRE relocate skid kit, very clever how they figured it all out, don't even drill any new holes. You could do something similar w/out buying the kit.
I think you could drill a new hole in the rear suspension mounting bracket about 1" higher than stock which i know will give you a performance upgrade, along with that you can tighten the front shock preload up to near its max. this will give you a poor mans version of the JRE kit, also give you a taste of what the kit will do w/out spending any money

Last edited:
Just get your suspension setup correctly. If you already got it close I would leave it alone and not lower the track into the skid. Set your front ski shocks spring preload at 5mm from loose springs. Set your center shock at 5mm preload as well. Set your rear springs at M if your between 200-250 lbs with gear. Now lift your sled off the ground (bumper jack or hang it) from the rear (on Level concrete or pavement) and look at the track and see if it is the same distance where it does not curve up in the front or rear (straight section) (push track against sliders and measure with a tape measure) if its down in the front pull your front limiter straps up one hole and check it again if it looks even then your sled is balanced front to rear. Now you can play with compression and rebound.

Pete

Thanks guys. I do believe I have it very close to my liking. I ride mostly trails rough/groomed and maybe 25% off so I set it up for aggressive trail riding. Pete, I am very close to your suggestions. The first couple rides I was ridding a little unsafe trying to keep up with a bunch of friends on 800 doos. Last weekend I had zero problems keeping up with them while having more on tap( never thought it would happen). My only issue was I had two occasions where inside ski lift was pretty bad (we were ridding very aggressive). I love the way it handles so I don't want to touch spring rate anymore. Maybe try 1/4 turns but that's it. I figured if I could get it a touch lower without touching spring rate, maybe that would help. I got my comp/rebound pretty darn close also. On the big nastys it bottomed twice all day so that's good to know I'm using it all on the huge junk. It's a bit harsh on the stutters but I just pin it and those go bye bye.

Joe,

You might want to look at the Mountain tech 43+2 kit and some Hygear shock setups to blow those 800 doos out of the water. I will tell you patience is a virtue when setting these Nytros up, but it can be done.

Pete

I drilled a hole in my drop brackets to nip and tuck the skid in one more notch. This lowered the overall height which is what I wanted. MTX sits pretty high to begin with. I also nipped and tucked my stock skid in my RX1Mountain tunnel by drilling extra holes in the dropdown brackets and mid tunnel. This improved handling greatly (prior to installing an M8 skid which I also tucked in as well).

If your your an aggressive trail rider lowering (raising the skid into the tunnel) the rear skid a bit greatly improves handling and transfers some weight off the nose of the Nytro. Completely transformed my XTX.

How did you go about doing that ? and how far is it that you raise the skid, and will it hit the tunnel protectors ?

Back