• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XTX track lug height VS. cornering

STAIN

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 SIDEWINDER LTX GT
After riding this weekend and doing some thinking (dangerous I know ) I wondered how an inch track would affect handling of this sled?? Has anyone swapped out the 1 1/4 for an inch? My other thought was what if the outside lugs were cut to an inch and the center lugs were 1 1/4? If I went to an inch track it would defitly be an iceripper XT after witnessing another torn stud ruin a front exchanger in a buddys sled this weekend.
On a side note I believe a front spring change is order for the front of my XTX. The front end is too stiff for me and is hard in the small trail chop. A call to Hygear may be in order

Regarding the front springs in the chop, you might want to talk with somebody regarding a revalve on your shocks. They can take that feed back right out pretty easily - without affecting what you have going on in the bigger stuff if that's what you're looking for... You don't need to be talking to somebody like Ross for a move like this either. A lot of the small shops can do this...and work with you afterward if necessary.

Trimming the outside of the track was always something I wanted to try when I had my long track. I think it would definetly help loosen that track up in the corners. Ultimately, I just went back to a shortie....think I'm further ahead.

STAIN said:
After riding this weekend and doing some thinking (dangerous I know ) I wondered how an inch track would affect handling of this sled?? Has anyone swapped out the 1 1/4 for an inch? My other thought was what if the outside lugs were cut to an inch and the center lugs were 1 1/4? If I went to an inch track it would defitly be an iceripper XT after witnessing another torn stud ruin a front exchanger in a buddys sled this weekend.
On a side note I believe a front spring change is order for the front of my XTX. The front end is too stiff for me and is hard in the small trail chop. A call to Hygear may be in order

On my 121 I cut the ripsaw down to an inch last year and could not believe the handling improvement it made. I put a 9837 on it this year and with pilot skis theres no more white knuckle riding, it can be ridden one handed easily. Completely different sled, unbelieveable how well it behaves, it's not jumping all over the trail like it did with the 1.25 track and stock skis. Right on par with a polaris dragon. I run 192 1.175 woodys. A studded inch track will give you less problems than a studded 1.25. I will never own another sled with a ripjunk on it.

The stock XTX track is really a 3/4" when you take into account its finger design. I used mine for around 250 miles before I took it off. A 1" non finger design track will most likely give you more straight line bite, better powder performance and slightly more understeer. ( more traction) I'm using a backcountry 1.75" now and its a way better performer in all areas compared to stock, it does have more understeer but I've almost got that solved

mj

Springs are on the way. I think I will get an inch track for next year. No snow this year is making it hard to spend a LOT of money on this sled. Maybe I will get an asphalt track!!!

The less aggressive the track the easier the handling will be. Track spin makes the machine more forgiving. The skis are more likely to stay on the ground and you will also have less lateral bite. Weight transfer adjustment is also part of this equation, a sled that transfers less weight will have less ski lift.

The same goes for less aggressive skis/carbides. A sled that understeers is less likely to feel tippy.

If you want these sled to handle flatter and have less steering effort, there are many things you can do to tone them down. The more aggressive you make the machine the harder it will be to ride, but it will be more rewarding when you become more rider interactive and drive faster.

I've gone through the set-ups and adjustments--just trying to take it to the next level. I believe I have taken the stock suspension as far as it will go to suit my riding style, I have no problems with darting or tippyness. I am just trying to make it ride better now. Although I believe the shorter lug track will make it rotate through the corner better.

I think a 1" would be the shizzle....actually a 1" x 14" like the 128 would be awesome if they made it..

I was thinking the same thing with the 14" track. I bet this XTX will fly on the top end with a inch by 14 on it!!!!

cwcsrx700 said:
STAIN said:

On my 121 I cut the ripsaw down to an inch last year and could not believe the handling improvement it made. I put a 9837 on it this year and with pilot skis theres no more white knuckle riding, it can be ridden one handed easily. Completely different sled, unbelieveable how well it behaves, it's not jumping all over the trail like it did with the 1.25 track and stock skis. Right on par with a polaris dragon. I run 192 1.175 woodys. A studded inch track will give you less problems than a studded 1.25. I will never own another sled with a ripjunk on it.

x2 Everyone would be surprised how well the sled handles with this set up.

Yep, a 14" x 1" would be perfect. Too bad, they don't make one.

D&D had a 14" Hackwaw made by Camoplast for their XTX in Woodgate shootout... I believe they listed it as a $700 option.

tracks USA has a 144x1.06 x 15 iceripper.

Back