• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XTX with clicking grinding noise on the low end ideas?

kamakazie

Veteran
All my XTX has been flawless so far and very fun to ride for the first 1200 miles. I have noticed however, a clicking noise when I am running on the bottom end at a constant speed of 15-25 mph. I always check for ice build up as I know that can cause weird noises. This happens even after all the ice is melted off in the heated shop as well. Anyone have issues with pre-mature bearing failures or could this be something in the chain Case? She seems to run fine I just know this sound was not there at all for the firs 1000 miles.

Thanks

;)!

was it in deeper snow or groomed trail ? mine did this very bad when i had my front shock on rear skid set soft and i was riding thru deeper snow,the front shock compresses and allows the limiter straps to slakc way up and rub into the top inside part of the track,hasnt happened since i put my shock back to the stock preload setting

I thought I heard something similar to that on mine last weekend, but couldn't really pinpoint where it was coming from. Wasn't that loud, and I didn't hear it all the time...just every now and then. I was riding groomed trails.

Yep- just keep riding and check in later, the noise will be gone. Just ice. I had to have a family ride home last trip, to conserve fuel and after I checked the ice build up under the tunnel there was none. The slower you go I believe the melting happens and thus no ice build up from high speeds? Call me crazy but this was the first time I was not carrying an extra 20# around on my tunnel protectors.

Not to add to any paranoia you might be experiencing, but something else for you to consider. Inside the chaincase, the bolt that holds the lower gear and the spring to the driveshaft can break on the XTX's. I know because it happened to mine right from the crate (at least that's my assumption, as I found it when I changed my track @ 500mi). There was a problem with these bolts breaking on the '08s so they designed a new bolt and the '09s were equipped with them from the factory. At least on mine this new bolt was not up to the task either. Thankfully, yamaha designed the chaincase so the gears could not escape from the end of the shaft and cause a catastrophic failure, but after running that way for a while, I could see damage/noise occuring. It doesn't take that long to take the cover off the chaincase to check. If the bolt is broken, the lower gear will come off in the cover. It's worth checking if the noise doesn't resolve.

I had the same problem on my Apex a few weeks ago, I then installed the 4th wheel kit and had to thaw out my suspension, and noticed one of my rear skid frame wheels had chunks missing out of it. Rode last weekend with the new wheel and no more noise,

Back