• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha sled talk

yamy07

Expert
What's happened to the Yamaha Sled Talk blog? I haven't seen anything new since last March? Has Yamaha given up on the idea?
Kind of miss it.

Doesn't sound like for long. It appeared he was issued a gag order right around the time Yellowknife kinda got his regarding the problems he was having with his Viper. The Toronto Powersports Show is Oct. 24-26 and he usually drops in. Being in Minnesota is a great excuse for a no-show. I hope he does show as I like listening to what he has to say. He did a few videos with Powermodz at the last show with one being about the Performance Damper. Speaking of the Perf. Damper, any one heard a canadian price yet? Why all the secrecy? I also heard a rumour that they require the installation of a new rear bumper to house it.

I do enjoy hearing from Chris and his post on his blog was really vague. However I think there is something in the pot brewing........

To me, it sounds like another step closer towards Yamaha getting out of snowmobile manufacturing.

I think we should use this thread as a way to show Chris we value the blog and want it to keep going. Reply to this if you want him to keep it up. Lets make this thing 10 pages long by the weekend!

To me, it sounds like another step closer towards Yamaha getting out of snowmobile manufacturing.

I think Yamaha still wants sleds to sell in it's dealerships, but I agree it wants out of the actual manufacturing of the products. I think we will get a new Yamaha after the SR Viper, but it will be a Yamaha/Cat hybrid built in TRF. Yamaha has been actively hiring snowmobile engineers in the US and with Chris admitting he spent most of his summer in Minnesota that tells me the future of Yamaha is a Yamaha/Cat partnership. I believe there is a reason the 3000 engine has been skipped in the Cat line-up and a reason why the Pantera 7000 was developed. I expect the Venture to move to ProTour for 2016 and a new ProCross Phazer using the 500 (or slightly up-powered 4 stroke twin) to appear in 2016 as well. The Apex and Vector might make it one more year before being replaced in 2017 by a co-designed flagship that can house either the current 4 cylinder or a new 160-180 HP engine.

I'd bet that by 2017 all Yamahas will be built in TRF on either a Cat chassis or a co-developed Yamaha/Cat chassis which will be shared. Hopefully with Yamaha development dollars and expertise helping Cat the two together can build a product that can compete against the much larger BRP and Polaris. The thing they need to do however is better differentiate the products. The current Viper is too close to a re-badge in my opinion.

I don't think they want out.I think they want to move development and production to North America.

I hope Yamaha stays more independent from Artic Cat than that. The one thing you could always count on with a Yamaha is top notch build quality and reliability. Artic Cat hasn't had such a great track record with either one of these things. Although if Yamaha does move all of its production to Cat, hopefully they will be overseeing the build quality and have the sleds engineered for the reliability worthy of the Yamaha badge. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Back