• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

General Bearing Maintenance

MrSled

Site Admin/CEO
Staff member
Website
www.totallyamaha.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder SRX
Here is some info that was past onto me by email by someone that frequents the site. I thought I woulds share it.

Hi gentlemen.
I have two Apexes, a 2006 GT, and a 2008 RTX. The 06 has had the jackshaft bearing behind the secondary clutch fail and destroy the shaft (titanium $400) and the speedo bearing on the same side for the drive shaft fail and destroy the drive shaft. What I noticed this year during my service with the secondary off is on the jackshaft, if you remove the circlip that retains the bearing, using the same small fine but dull screwdriver I use to remove bearing seals on the idler wheels, I can pop the bearing seal out and repack this bearing with grease(it was dry on both sleds) then reinstall seal and circlip. While I was there I removed the speedo gear and the driveshaft bearing retaining plate and popped that seal out also and repacked with grease, again both were dry. The same bearings on the chain case side can be inspected by removing the chain and gears. A little more work but at least you can see them, on my two Apexes the seals are not there so they get gear lube. I just wanted to share because these are expensive repairs if they fail, I?m going to make this a regular part of my servicing routine. Another tip, service all bearings at seasons end not the beginning of the next season. You don?t want moisture sitting in there for 7-8-9-months. Hope this is useful to many riders.

Regards
Wayne

Been doing this for years. Learned it on this site! When you pick the seals the grease in the bearings are dry or more like hard paste! Wash out with electrical or brake cleaner. Blow dry gently so you don't blow the seals out the other side and repack with freash grease. I use a needle on my grease gun to fill the bearing. You do this with the skid bearings as well!

x2
I've been following this regimen for the past 4 years since I bough tmy apex.

It is my understanding that If you do this each spring your speedo and secondary bearing will last nearly indefinitely.

If you use marine grease (lithium base) the bearing will not rust. I service mine in the fall and using marine grease never get rust in the bearing unless they go completely dry which I don't remember happening. Still running the original rear wheels with the non-replaceable bearing 17,000km. I use the needle greaser to inject grease at the inner part of the seal while rotating it. I replace the the clutch side jack and drive bearings last year because I was changing the track. I now carry those bearings as spares on my bagger trips in case some shop doesn't have one in stock. They are in mint condition.

I have also been doing this since I first purchased my sled 3 yrs ago.

Seen and read Rocker Dan's post from 2008 and have it saved in my favorites.

I have been using Bel-Ray waterproof grease, which I used for years Motocrossing, it is great stuff and does not get washed out.
I just checked those bearings again on Friday when I was doing some cleaning/mtce and they still look mint and all the Bel-Ray grease is still there. ;)!
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=52677

Ditto here. Just one thing though, don't use brake cleaner. It will destroy rubber seals. I've seen it turn the contact portion into a wavy lasagna noodle. WD40 works well to clean out the old grease. Just blow it all out before repacking. Do not overpack.

And it's not just for jackshaft and driveshaft bearings. Also works for wheels that have replaceable bearings (can't remove the seal on those with non-replaceable bearings).

Irv said:

I have been using Bel-Ray waterproof grease, which I used for years Motocrossing, it is great stuff and does not get washed out.
I just checked those bearings again on Friday when I was doing some cleaning/mtce and they still look mint and all the Bel-Ray grease is still there. ;)!
Another reason to say WOW this site rocks ! Cant believe all the info on here ! Thanks again!!!! :rocks:

snobill said:
Irv said:

Another reason to say WOW this site rocks ! Cant believe all the info on here ! Thanks again!!!! :rocks:

Agreed!

You will find that most guys genuinely & readily share good info to better our sport. ;)!

On my wifes 08 apex idler wheels with non replaceable bearings, I can remove seals, both if needed. I usually only have to do the one. Maybe the first time I did both. I have had wheels that I could hardly turn by hand, did a quick cleaning with the good OL WD-40, a little blow with air, repack with greese needle and good for the year. I find if I do this once a year, the bearings will last a long time. And of course, thanks to this site for yet another great tip!

Back