• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper VS Vector

Banks93 said:
Now see based on the post right after yours , I'd say your mistaken. Vector and EPS may be awesome, but it's impossible to say its a better trail sled in the Yamaha line up. Especially when you haven't ridden a SR Viper yet.

I have ridden all three brands drumz just said he didn't have the EPS Vector model. I have driven all three. 10 vector, 13 vector and 13 1100 cat I am going to get a Viper because I want the more HP and rider forward but the Vector is a great trail sled with the EPS and the $3,000 dollar discount on it is a really good price.

You really won't be disappointed either way you go the motor is so smooth and great power. Not Apex like but plenty on the trail power.[/quote]

I agree its a great trail sled, and with the discount sweetens the deal.

Well on EBay right now there are 2012 Vectors new with EPS for 7595-7995!!!!!!! So that's more like 4500 off from the price of the new wonder wagon tuff to beat that

Bumping this up.

For you guys who have rode the viper is it more comfortable and easier to ride then the power steering equipped Vector??

the Viper is a Nytro replacement and the Nytro was no where near as comfortable to ride as a Vector so does Viper leap ahead of Vector or is it just better than a Nytro.

drumz11 said:
My wife bought a new Vector this year and I picked up a new Cat XF.

My biggest mistake was letting her ride my sled. She doesn't want to get off it, jokes that I got a Caddy and she is driving a Prius, and now wants to sell her Vector after one season. Reliability is obviously second to none with the Vector and I wish she would change her mind.....but once you ride these new rider forward chassis Cats, Doo's and Poo's, it makes it hard to go back and be comfortable on the older style sleds...let alone the improved handling. She lags behind while riding the Vector but keeps up well while riding the Procross....and it's a 141" skid vs the Vectors 121" It's not her skill...it's the riding position and more confidence in the chassis and handling on the Procross. I'm not knocking the Vector, it's a great machine and I will be sad to see it go. You just can't compare the handling and more comfortable and less fatiguing rider position on the Cat... so I don't blame her for wanting to trade. I know this is a Yamaha site, but anyone who says the seating position and handling is not far superior on the Procross, XP's and other modern sleds compared to the Apex/Vector is really in the minority.

Is it worth the $3500 difference in buying a new Viper vs leftover Vector pricing? You would have to ride both and be your own judge. I don't like the first year of any sled.

I can understand why guys would be weary of reliability with the new Viper... but at least it's the 3rd year of the chassis. I have a feeling that it will go pretty well.

I totally agree with your statement about going back to old school seating position (lower and not rider forward). Too many guys on here have the idea that the Vectors and Apex's are comparable in ride quality and handling when in fact they are not even close. Why was power steering put in by Yamaha? To make these heavy sleds easier to handle and turn. The newer, lighter, rider forward sleds do not need power steering because they weigh 100 lbs + less than Yamahas.

I finally got to see them last night in Mass here's my impression.

Sitting on them the Vector has a far more comfortable seat much softer. At 5'8 on the Viper my knees where against the plastic and I felt like I was sitting on the front narrow part of the seat. The Viper bars may be able to be pulled back making that better to move me back some . But first impression Vector all the way. The throttle on the Viper is much stiffer for some reason, advantage Vector.

Vector by far superior construction in every way Hopefully production Viper will be better. the running boards for instance flex and twist on Viper, Vector is rock solid.

Reps wherent exactly too helpfully like pulling teeth to get info. how much less does Viper weigh then Vector??? I get silence, then finally "we think Viper will be less then Nytro and Nytro is 90 less then Vector." Ok so then it's 100ish less pounds that's significant.

" which one rides better for 200 mile days in NE trail chatter, which is less fatiguing and better on your back"

Again I get silence ....... Me, "You've ridden both right?" Ok so which one transmits less jarring to your back? Crickets I hear crickets. They did say the base model rides much much better then the float equipped versions, so at least that's some good info.

Basically it was like trying to get an answer from a politician .

The guys representing the Viper had no clue about the machines. I went to the Boxboro MA show myself, to see the Vipers in person. One of the reps didn't even know what models were what... Myself and another guy (Apex owner since '06) were like "WTF".... At least both of us knew what we were talking about. The fit and finish was horrible, but that's because the exterior is mostly AC. Cheap plastics, cheap power wheels gauge pod, and the seat didn't match up to the tank very well at all. True Yamaha and Ski-doo are worlds ahead of AC in the quality department bar none............I just hope the final product is better than the display models, since I ordered one already.......

Your right it was pretty dumbfounding, I'm in sales myself and have over 100 vendors I try and keep with everything on all our major lines. I can't imagine having just one product your responsible for and not knowing it inside and out.

OR they do know a lot and are sworn to secrecy.

The Ski Doo display was much better with cut always of the motor,suspension, chassis etc.

Liked the throttle on the new 900 ACE BTW short travel easy to pull will be a big hit with the ladies who have smaller hands and get sore thumbs.

Just drove the viper and i was surprised. Had 09 vector ltx w/o eps or efi so i'm sure 2010 on up are alot better but comparing the 09 vector to viper hands down viper. It steered like it had eps, rode like you were on air. The only thing I didnt like was the highrise handle bars. They are for the rider that goes off trail, fire lanes or what ever. Trail riding I would lean towards vector ltx. Good heat from motor was nice 10.6 gal gas tank also plus. They had side panels, hood and seat off in seconds.

So you think the viper rode better than the Vector, and I mean smoother through groomed trail chatter?

Through a ditch line jumping driveways etc like they do in Minnesotta it would be Viper for sure but we don't have anything like that here.

You're trying to compare a Coupe de Ville to a CTS. Riders ride and Viper (procross) is a riders sled. It does everything better. As long as someone is keeping a close eye on final assembly, Viper is going to be the sh!t. For those of you coming from a Phazer, you already know how to ride this sled (without the tippyness). You guys coming from Nytros are gonna sh!t your pants. This chassis is that good. I've got a whole season under my belt and this thing never ceases to amaze. Be confident in your purchase. If assembly is Yamaha quality, you guys are gonna have one hell of a sled.

srvfan said:
Ok so here's the big question Vector LTX leftover power steering, and supposedly super smooth Mono shock for say 8900

VS

New Yammicat for say $12500 in a lighter chassis, how much lighter? Does it ride as smooth as a mono shock on New England stutter bumps ?

Is it all that to be worth around $3500 more?

Save your money & get the Vector. Put a wide front end on it from Pioneer & never look back. It will be the best trail sled you ever rode and you can still hit the C note on Kevlar Lake

Back