• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Chain case precedure - reinstalling the reverse actuator

1049triple

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2025 SRX (on order)
2018 High Country 9000
2001 SRX 700
Anyone have the real Yamaha or Arctic-Cat procedure to put back in the reverse actuator?

Here is what the owner manual says:
When installing the shift actuator, rotate the actuator back and forth to properly align it with the extension gear.Failure to do so could cause component domage.

I just put mine back on after adjusting the oil fluid, so I put the extension in, turn it CCW until i felt little resistence, than install the actuator at 1 O'clock, and turned it CCW till it fit with bolts holes, to give it his little preload.

Am I allright?

I think we need clarification from Yamaha...

Just make sure, if you dont turn the extension CCW until a little resistence is felt, when you will install and turn the actuator from 1 O'clock to 12 O'clock, chance are you will not get any preload, as there is freeplay in this macanism. Extension can turn free almost 1/8 of a turn, so if you yant preload, you have to make sure it is fully CCW before installing the actuator.

Clarification with the exact procedure from Yamaha would be greatly appreciated and make it a sticky IMO

X4 but its in facts for now. Seems there must be preload or issues result. We NEED a service manual!!

This is from the 2014 AC Service manual. It says nothing about clocking the actuator. The actuator finds 0 itself or is supposed to. The mystery continues.

Attachments

• Reverse Actuator.jpg
    Reverse Actuator.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 5,644
Right or wrong this is how I do mine on procross and it works for me. With servo motor off chaincase turn gear on chaincase clockwise to shift it into reverse. Then with servo off turn key on(don't start sled) and off, this cycles the servo into forward everytime you do it. Install servo onto chain case, it slides right in. Install 3 bolts and then just turn key on and as before it will automatically cycle itself into forward and your good to go.

When I tried to let actuator find itself id get codes and reverse didn't work. If I do the way I described above it works everytime. I assume the Yamaha will be same setup.

I always backed off the adjuster 1/4 turn after finger tight. This says 1 1/2 turns. Big difference? I only have 50 miles, I guess I will get to the 1 1/2 in a few miles?

I hear you guys. Lot of conflicting info. Still haven't seen the Yamaha service manual. I will hope it clears things up. As for now I will do chain 1/4 turn loose and follow your advice for setting the actuator. I really think some of the issues are wiring and programming issues. Yamaha can correct these easily. Not going to let it affect my riding and will deal with it if it happens. Doing the first service this week and I will go by the book. Not taking chaincase off just tightening chain

There is zero clocking of the actuator regardless of what your thinking it does nothing. The servo sets the lash in the chain case. There is absolutely nothing to do with setting any preload.

The procedure is to assemble the case, then cycle it into fwd/rev a few times that is all.

cannondale27 said:
This is from the 2014 AC Service manual. It says nothing about clocking the actuator. The actuator finds 0 itself or is supposed to. The mystery continues.

Back the adjuster back out 1 1/2 turns after finger tight

Mine had preload as well... just be cautious and take out the last screw slow.... mark the gear and location of actuator with a sharpy and put it back in the same place...also the torque spec is too high .... so be careful or you will easily split the plastic.

This is from my friend that's the drive train engineer at the plant

Put the spline extension plug in the bore. Wiggle it a little to make sure it is engaging on the rack. Then try to line up the external spline on the actuator to the internal spline of the plug. The actuator on-time is time based and the time we have it set is about double what it needs so you don't need to worry if is set in gear or not. Once the actuator is in rotate it until the holes line up for the screws. Be sure not to over tighten those bc the plastic will crack. When it is all put back together make sure you shift it a couple times before running it up

Back