• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bs from dealer?

maim

Staff member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 apex xtx
2011 apex xtx
2009 phaser rtx/x
1997 et410t/r
1988 vk 540
Is there a different way to check the oil on an rs sled vs an apex or rx?

Do you mean oil level? Then no.

Do you mean oil change? Then yes, the Apex is more involved if the filter is replaced.

I find that for all things, be it, sleds, cars, trucks, whatever, dealers are the least knowledgeable of their own products. They know what's in the brochures and that's about it.

i meant oil level.

apparently i over filled it because it was showing the oil symbol on the dash and i checked it after letting it sit shut off long enough to get my helmet, gloves, side pannel removed and pull a rag out from my pocket to check the oil.

have owner's manuals for all models. Can check. The issue most have is they thread dip stick all the way in when checking oil. Oil level is checked with the dip stick seated against the boss...not threaded in.

hibshman25 said:
have owner's manuals for all models. Can check. The issue most have is they thread dip stick all the way in when checking oil. Oil level is checked with the dip stick seated against the boss...not threaded in.
X-2......... Make sure it is warmed up, shut off and let stand for a few minutes to drain back.. Then check as written above. An RS requires 3 full bottles of oil with a filter change... MM ;)!

That is how I checked it. Warm up light was off for at least 10 seconds before check engine and oil light came on.

Just a thought here. Did you remember to re-plug in the wire to the dip stick ???????
MM. :-o

Re-reading what you wrote, overfilling should not give a warning, either for oil pressure or level unless it's so overfilled that it's whipping the oil so much by the crank that it foams and the pickup is getting this air. I don't think this is your problem.

I would check the oil level sensor on the tank first. Repair manual explains how to check or swap it with another. Check all the oil lines to be sure nothing is kinked. Then the pressure switch. Myself, I would just replace it to eliminate it. If it still throws an oil light, this would be time to check actual oil pressure with a gauge.

Does the engine get noisier when you get the light?

maim said:
i meant oil level.

apparently i over filled it because it was showing the oil symbol on the dash and i checked it after letting it sit shut off long enough to get my helmet, gloves, side pannel removed and pull a rag out from my pocket to check the oil.

MyVector does that crap to me all the time.

The oil light will come on and I check it and its low.

Start it again and drive a bit and check again and its right up.

I have no idea whats going on but I have only added oil one time in about 10 times of it showing low and then coming back up again.

This winter it was so cold that it was dripping out the filter when first started. After it warmed up it was fine...enough to drive you nuts

nope, not due for an oil change yet.

no noticable difference in engine noise when the light is on.

i plug the sensor in before i ever touch the pannel and check again as i put the pannel on.

dara, you might be correct. it sounds very simliar to what this venture is doing.

hopefully i will have time to get the skinny on this darn thing tomorrow.

Back