• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Painting or powder coating spring's?

kviper

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 MCX Turbo Apex
Working on a plan for some changes to my Apex. What will work on front suspendtion spring's? Paint or powder coating ?

Is a spring flexing an issue with powder coating?

I used a home powdercoating kit on my apex rear shock spring years ago. It held up great for the 2 seasons it was in the sled
I would powdercoat over paint

Powdercoated my springs last fall are still perfect. Get someone who knows what they are doing if you get them powdercoated. If a person uses too much heat when baking them it can affect them.

Thanks for the tip's! I have a guy close by that's been in the powder coating busines for a while so he should know what he's doing.

RTX said:
I used a home powdercoating kit on my apex rear shock spring years ago. It held up great for the 2 seasons it was in the sled

That's awesome, didn't know they existed? Did your wife think you were baking cookies? Or big spiral pasta?

biffdotorg said:
RTX said:

That's awesome, didn't know they existed? Did your wife think you were baking cookies? Or big spiral pasta?

I bought the eastwood kit back in 2007. Its ok not great. Kind of tough to get into tight cracks but it gets the job done. I have used it multiple times for stuff like my apex a- arms
And rear suspension parts.
As was stated you need to remove all paint before powder coating and i also purchased special chemicals to promote proper adhesion of the powder.
I do it all out in my shed, it stinks something awful and is unsafe to breathe so i wear my work issued respirator when i do it
Max temps for the powders i use are 375-385. Im not scared of damaging anything at that temp.
I use an electric kitchen range i purchased almost new off of craigs list for 25 bucks.

Its a fun little toy but its also quite a project. If you have time, it can be fun to learn and experiment but you need access to lots of stuff like the oven, sandblaster, respirator silicone plugs to plug holes etc etc.
Not really something your gonna do in your kitchen . LOL

Back