• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Setting up timing chain

Josh_D

Hey guys, im the process of updating my 05 vectors timing chain tensioner and the chain has skipped time. I was able to get cams close to stock but it looks like they out one tooth on each cam, what's the best way to reset the cams? Also how are the cams suppose to be positioned when #3 cylinder is at TDC, I'm not talking about #3 lobes but all other lobes. I just want to be sure I don't have a cam that's completely out phase. Thanks for any tips and advice gents!

Position #3 cam lobes at 7 o'clock (exhaust) and 5 o'clock (intake), illustration "d". Align the timing marks on the cam sprockets as shown by illustration "b & c".

The crank II marks should be aligned on the stator cover

Ok cool this is how my cams look roughly I just have to rotate exhaust cam back one tooth and intake cam forward one tooth. Is there any easy way to hold the cams in position when the chain is not connected? I fighting the valve springs and I can never get the cams aligned to one another

The intake cam is in a position to open a #3 valve so it doesn't want to rotate but the exhaust is coming off of the the #3 lobe so it tends to want to turn CW on it's own. I place the chain on the crank and intake sprockets making sure there is no slack between them. Then with a 10mm wrench on one of the exhaust sprocket bolts I align the timing markets and drop the chain on the exhaust sprocket. You can use tie straps to hold the chain to the sprocket while installing the tensioner. I rotate the engine CW several times so the tensioner can take up any slack in the chain. If there is any slack in the chain it will jump the intake gear so either relocate tie straps to prevent the chain from jumping or install the valve cover which has a guide that keeps the chain on the gears.

Well did as grizztracks suggested and everything seems good now. I used zips ties to hold the chain to the gears and rotated the motor over 3 times to TDC each time to verify timing and every time my marks lined up nicely so i would think its good to go. Cant wait to start it up. Thanks for the tips guys!!!

Back