• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

rockztoys LED review

Copy and paste would have worked too :tg:

Title says HID but everywhere else you're talking LED so which is it? How do they work switching from low to high beam? On HID's, it's a magnetic pull that moves the bulb. What kind of wattage do these pull? Typical HID's are 35W.

A little info for those who are not fimiliar with the differences between stock Halogen. HID and LED's.
Copied from another website

Halogen headlights
Halogen lights are the most popular lights on the market and are found in most consumer cars. These bulbs are similar to familiar incandescent lights and use heated tungsten filaments to produce light. Halogen headlights produce a significant amount of heat, and even small deposits of skin moisture on the bulb during replacement can affect their performance.

The main benefits of halogen bulbs include low replacement costs and longevity.

Xenon headlights
Xenon lights, also known as high-intensity discharge (HID) lights, produce a brighter light than halogen bulbs and with far less heat. The blue-white light emitted by xenon bulbs is so bright, it has been known to "blind" other drivers.

These headlights require a large amount of power at the outset to produce their first burst of light, but once fully operational, they require much less energy to maintain constant brightness.

Xenon bulbs have a long lifespan and emit little heat, but they cost more than halogen bulbs.

LED headlights
LEDs are the most recent innovation in headlight technology. Instead of gas and filaments, LEDs rely on small diodes that produce light when electric current excites their electrons. They need an low amount of power to work but do produce a significant amount of heat on the diode. This requires heat control systems at the bottom of the headlight and near other car components. If this system fails, not just the light, but other electronics could be affected.

The small size of LEDs means they can be formed into almost any shape, and their light is naturally directional rather than diffuse, making them an excellent choice for headlights.

steiner said:
Copied from another website

Halogen headlights
Halogen lights are the most popular lights on the market and are found in most consumer cars. These bulbs are similar to familiar incandescent lights and use heated tungsten filaments to produce light. Halogen headlights produce a significant amount of heat, and even small deposits of skin moisture on the bulb during replacement can affect their performance.

The main benefits of halogen bulbs include low replacement costs and longevity.

Xenon headlights
Xenon lights, also known as high-intensity discharge (HID) lights, produce a brighter light than halogen bulbs and with far less heat. The blue-white light emitted by xenon bulbs is so bright, it has been known to "blind" other drivers.

That website had the right idea, but was unfortunately quite wrong. The types should have been labeled incandescent and HID bulbs. Incandescent bulbs can use any number or mixture of gases, including krypton, halogen, argon, and xenon. The gas doesn't directly affect color temp, and the basic technology is the same. You heat up a filament until it glows hot, and the gas keeps the filament from self destructing instantly.

High intensity discharge bulbs are an entirely different animal. A typical automotive bulb has very little xenon gas actually, and it is only for light at initial startup. (incandescent's can have more xenon than a typical HID) A metal halide gas (mercury vapor or a relative) is what does most of the work once the bulb is up and running.

Lastly, one thing to consider. The reflector housing is very closely designed for where the light comes out of the bulb. The pattern that comes off is entirely different between incandescent and HID's. This results in LOTS of glare and lots of light sent into the sky. You lose the sharp cutoff that factory lights have for a reason. In a sled, this isn't as much of a problem, and there might be times it is actually benefitial. In a car, dropping in a HID bulb into a reflector housing that was meant for incandescent is 100% illegal and a very bad idea.

(disclaimer, I run rock's HID's in both of my sleds, and I was well aware of the benefits and drawbacks before installing them. I would never, ever consider dropping HID's into an on-road application without a projector retrofit.)

Read more from this guy if you want to know way more about the science of lightbulbs than you ever imagined!

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech ... sions.html

Have them on my nytro and one of the best mods i've done!!

easy to install and rock was there to help me out when I had a issue

Back