• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Holes in track

mblanken

I have heard of guys drilling holes in their tracks to lose weight and allow for more snow removal from the suspension. Is this really ok to do? Won't it make the track weak? I have an 06 Apex Mt. and was thinking about doing this. Any advice for me. Such as how many holes, where to drill them, and how big of holes. Thanx

Also, have heard of guys taking off their wheels. Any advice on this would be great too.

Does anybody have pics of any of this done to their sleds?

Track holes

Do a search over on Snowest. There are a bunch of threads on this topic. I haven't done it yet. I am just afraid to put holes in a new track with the turbo. I am worried about it coming apart at 90+ MPH. It could make an interesting ride.LOL

When you do your search, search the terms track drilling and track porting. Those are the terms most use. Tons of info out there....with pics and tips on how to do it. Not much info on it in this particular site though...

Most conventional porting is done with a 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 inch hole saw...some do it with a normal hole saw and others grind the teeth of a cheapy down to a knife-like smooth, 2, 3, or 4 holes across the middle evenly spaced, in every single row is pretty conventional. 3 seems to be the average but some do more, some do less. Some report extra track stretching, some do not. A few say the holes can occasionaly catch a branch or something similar and tear out, most don't report any real problems.

These guys will do it for you for an outrageous price with a punching machine...they have a few pics for you anyways...
http://www.trackpunch.com/

I am running a 2 hole set up, 1 3/8 holesaw on a 3" pitch track. Approx 8000 miles with no issues. I have been swapping tracks due to lugs missing and have not seen any issues with the porting. Snow does have an easier exit out of the skid with the porting, and weight savings is less than a pound. I took all the holes I removed and weighed them.

I ported my maverick on my '06 Apex. 2 holes down the middle (to avoid the rear axel wheels - which is a two wheel kits). I weighed all the divets afterwards and it was a few lbs. The track also spun easier (hit the rev limited more often at low altitude on the trail). I agree it also helps clear the snow.

Skidoo is claiming it decreases climbing ability, I find that hard to believe. I think it just cost too much to do...and why do it if your not going to be able to sell the sled for more $$.

I have not done it on my new CE....too many other gremlins to chase.

Back