• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

USI X2 Triple Threat - Lovers? Haters?

snomobubl

Extreme
I am thinkin about new skis for my 07 Attak and am facinated by the USI X2 Triple Threats to the point of wanting to release some funds to get a pair.

I am interested to hear from X2 lovers and more importantly X2 haters regarding their performance.

Tracking
Floatation
Darting
Steering Ease
etc...

Please let me know how you acheived (or didn't achieve) your desired set up.

Suspension tweaks
Carbides
Keel Fins
Mount Position
etc....

If they didn't work out - what did you end up with?

Thanks! :Rockon: :Rockon: :Rockon: :Rockon: :Rockon: :Rockon:

I have a set on my attak and really like them. Iam using stage 1 fins. I do have a slight push in the corners but Iam set at max transfer too. When i dial out the transfer it really turns. Steering is moderate feeling not too hard to turn the bars.I have very little to no darting.Most of the time is no darting.I can ride 200 mile days and Iam not tired from steering. Hope this helps.
Rich

I got a pair on my 05 Vector.

Configuration: Stage 1 fins, 7.5" Shaper bars, center saddle hole position, power steering plate option.

Here is what I noticed:
- Less darting
- Better flotation
- More bite in hard cornering

They are definitely an improvement, but steering still seems as heavy (same suspension setup as stock). They offer moderate improvement, but they have not blown me away. I bought them because my stock skis were worn out and I needed new ones anyhow. However, if I bought them to replace brand new takeoffs, I'd be disappointed as there are definitely better ways to spend $400 on handling improvements...

I've got them on my RTX and love them. The first year (last year) I just put them on in the center mount and let her rip. There was definitely an increase in steering effort. As in, your arms would be sore after a 5 mile stretch of twistys. However, this summer I had my suspension redone by Hygear and decided to try and dial this sled in, now that I wouldn't constantly be on bump patrol and could have some fun. What I found is that I can now turn the bars without the sled moving, couldn't do that before, and at the same time corner aggressively with very little to zero push. It's a combination of rear skid and ski setup. I've tried the rear mount hole and it further reduced steering effort but did add a slight amount of push, very predictable but it was there and I prefer to give an input and have the sled react. With that the conditions were loose fluff so take the previous comment with a grain of salt. I am not using the power steering plates but intend on trying them just because I have them. I'm currently using last years (worn) Stud boy shapers with 7.5" carbide. I think that the key to these skis is that you are not going to just bolt them on and go wow everything is better now. Everything is give and take, as with every other part of the sled. The point is that I now have a list of setups that works for certian conditions and I can relatively esaily change the setup to match the day. On heavy wet packed conditions I would go to the rear mount. On loose unpacked pow days I would go with center if not front. If I was going to be cruising rails or doing drags all day I would go stage 1 rear mount with easy steer plate; less drag and more forgiving. You get the point; I have not tried other skis, other than the stockers, so I may not have the best comparison of opinions. If you want to just bolt on a ski and ride, probably not the ski for you, if you want to be able to adjust for style and conditions and enjoy that aspect, I would give them a try. If I remember correctly at the Novi show last year they were cheaper than the Slydogs, with the mounts and all so pricing is not bad. Ultimately you can make them as aggressive as you can handle and then some, or make them forgiving and as loose as you want, well at least close. By the way the floatation is amazing, before I would sink like a stone (no surprise there) but now I've made it through pow three times deeper than I would have expected. They seem to disperse the extra front end weight very well. Now they're not going to turn your 121 or 136 into a Mtn, but you won't be afraid to blast off trail for the pow here and there.

Setup:
Skis.
7.5 Stud boy Shaper
Center Mount for all around riding, rear for heavy wet cond.
Stage 2 for all around, stage 1 for drag (which I don't do)

Rear skid. (Yes this does play a role in the ski setup)
Front limiter: Center Pos.
Transfer: 1 notch from Min.
Shock: Hygear, so it doesn't really translate

Front shocks:
Floats are at 65-75 PSI but again I have the rese's so 45-55 for non rese.

Sorry for the long post but I feel that skis (All of them) are like clutching were by you can't just bolt them on a go, you have to dial it in. The whole sled that is, you have to get them back to the peak RPM's for lack of a better analogy

Thanks for the input guys. I went ahead and placed the order.

I am sure I will have to do some tweaking to get ski pressure right for the more agressive ski.

Looking forward to the improved floatation as I have noticed the stockers want to sink down on the outside ski when you turn in powder and tip the sled to the outside. Also hoping for a little more bite and less push on the trails.

I just tried them out for 400 miles on my Apex last weekend and loved them. Very little darting...but very aggressive. I like to call it "Positive Steering" rather than heavy steering. They do steer harder than stock but go where you point them. Not as heavy as C&A's. What is great about them is the adjustably for changing conditions or if you change machines. They are perfect for the long sweeping Northern Ontario trails. I have them setup exactly as stated above. I too will try the powerplates to see if it lightens the steering a little, but if it changes the way they bite....the powerplates will be coming off.

Love em. Stage one: killer on hard pack, skechy in the deep stuff. Stage 3: killah in the in the deep stuff, pretty good on the hp. Front stage 3 rear stage one: Best of both worlds. Move the skis back a hole on the saddle(from the middle) if steering is too aggressive. These skis are so easily adjustable, probably the best mod you can do to your sled. Night and day from the stock skis. Make sure to adjust that rear limiter to one up from center (really helped my transfer) Because of this site I turned my really nice exceptional sled into a nasty any condition monster that hunts the competition and gives its driver, whether its me or one of my crazy friends, confidence to tackle any groomed trail or skiddah trail.

425 miles on the X2's

I got the X2's and installed them. Put on about 425 miles last weekend.

Running stage one fins with 7.5 shapers on center mount hole. Have power steering plates but have not needed to install.

Big difference from stockers. Far more bite in the corners. Improved cornering confidence. Great groomed trail tracking. Better float (much wider). Far less darting than stock - some minimal darting but not a problem. Hard to compare steering effort as it has been a couple of weeks since I rode the stockers. - probably heavier but worth the improved control. Not un-manageable to steer.
;)!
I would highly recommend these skis. :Rockon:

Had a set on all winter. Great skis. Stage one fin in the front and stage two fin in the back. Very good floatation in the deep snow.
Definately helps keep the front end up in the powder.
Very little darting. Bites good in the corners.

running x2's on both my srx's they dart very little..but I had snow trackers before and they didn't dart at all no matter what the snow condition. The advantage of running the x2 is that they are razor sharp. go where you point them even in loose snow...... I had the vx301's on an rx1 I had for a season and my brother is running the 301's on his srx..I think they dart less than the x2's... and I rode both sleds to do that comparison last weekend in Maine. they claim the x2's are faster....

Back