• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Handwarmer Mod - Instructions & Schematics

BLUEBALLER

Expert
As requested - Good Luck!!

Parts Needed
Hotgrips - model # 8ED - BK (long) or # 88T - BK (short) - $49.95 pair

Power Resistors - 1 Ohm, 10 Watt - Radio Shack model # 271-131 - $1.99

Bar ends - Sportech's, RSI's, Yamaha, take your pick - the Yamaha ones needed to be ground down to fit inside the 7/8" bars, not too sure on other brands. approx. $18 each.

Tools Needed
soldering iron, wire cutters, heat shrink/electrical tape, zip ties, cordless drill, rivet gun/rivets, utility knife, scotch brite or sandpaper, pipe cutter/hacksaw/sawzall, file, grip adhesive.

Installation Instructions
Here's the order in which I performed task:
1) Remove hood. Trace each handwarmer wiring back to connectors & disconnect both. Cut open handgrips using utility knife - watch for adhesive on the hooked bar ends. Drill out both rivets on each handgrip.

2) Pull heating element cables out of grey wire loom, cut off at handlebars & set cables aside. Use utility knife & sandpaper/scotchbrite to remove heating elements from handlebars until smooth.

3) Measure where you want to cut off hooked portion of handlebars. I used one of the rivet holes as a reference - cut off bar hooks.

4) File off any burrs - inner & outer. Slide Hotgrips on and make sure you have clearance where needed - brake, throttle, etc.

5) Drill new holes into handlebars for new rivets - install rivets later. Run Hotgrip cables into wire loom & pull out at wire harnesses.

6) Decide where/how you're going to mount power resistors. Cut original cables (with harness attached) to desired length & leave outer rubber sheave on. If you're using heatshrink, install it now. Solder in Power resistor as instructed. Cut other wire to length & solder hotgrip to oem cable ( other wire in harness) Add 7.5 Amp fuse in series with resistor if desired. I was going to, but decided it wasn't necessary.

7) Decide where you are going to mount power resistor & mount using zipties - I used 3 zipties per resistor to secure soldered ends & resistor itself.

8) Repeat for other Hotgrip.

9) Plug in harnesses.

10) Add aftermarket bar end if desired.

11) Fire up sled and FEEL the HEAT!!!

Once you are satisfied - glue em up & add rivets.

Attachments

• Hotgrips.gif
    Hotgrips.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 2,701
  • Hotgrip install.gif
    Hotgrip install.gif
    7.6 KB · Views: 2,698

Does anyone happen to know the resistance in the '06 Apex updated bars as I still have mine. I'll try to check. Maybe I can use these to cut and modify for my Nytro then when its time to trade in just put the original bars back on? Dang another project! Thanks for the info BlueBaller!

Thanks Blueballer for the instructions that even a pipe welder can follow. Very much appreciated, especially when my hands aren't freezing this winter,

cwcsrx700 said:
Does anyone happen to know the resistance in the '06 Apex updated bars as I still have mine. I'll try to check. Maybe I can use these to cut and modify for my Nytro then when its time to trade in just put the original bars back on? Dang another project! Thanks for the info BlueBaller!
If you read the other thread about this there is more info. To answer your question, mine measure 6.8 ohms per grip.

Awesome job with the write up Blueballer and thanks for taking the time to do this.

Site Members, this is an excellent example of how a problem was solved by a guy from this site. Rather than sitting back and complaining, he took action to solve the problem and took the time to document the solution. He has demonstrated a good example for everyone to follow.

Beauty, nice work Blueballer! I take back most of the bad things I said about manatobians! :tg:

cwcsrx700 said:
LJ 452 I believe they are talking about the original '06 Apex bars. I have the 29.99 updated bars.

The Original 06' (bolt-on bar ends) measured something like 2.2 ohms per side or something. The measurement of 6.8 ohms per grip that I gave is for the updated 06' bars (one piece). Which are the same (at least the grip and heater) as everything since.

I'm going to an open face helmet this year cause I hated the cord. I couldn't imagine having my hands plugged in as well.

Different strokes for different folks. If that's the route you choose, good luck with it.

I'm not sure if this is necessary for the 09's - nobody's measured their handwarmers yet.

Should work fine on the 08 - double check your heating element resistance then you'll know for sure. If they measure 6-7.5 ohms, then give'r

Back