• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Installing Rock's Handwarmer controller on an Apex GT

markddapexgt

Extreme
Recently installed Rocks handwarmer control box to my Apex Gt.
I found the installation instructions very complete but as I prefer to make things easy to remove and reassemble I wanted some way of mounting the control switch and LED to the console so that I could see what’s going on and still be able to remove headlamp assembly and support without cutting and rejoining wires for routine service etc.
I did this by using a 4 point connector (from Radio Shack) and using this to connect switch and LED to console. Here are some Pix that may assist with install on the Apex GT
Total install time – about 1.5 hours cost of connectors about $4
I have done about 600 miles with this installed with temps from -15F to 20F and believe me it works fantastic. For the money and time it takes to install its a no brainer.
Hope this is helpful
Mark

Attachments

• PICT0447.JPG
    PICT0447.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 148
  • PICT0446.JPG
    PICT0446.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 177
  • PICT0445.JPG
    PICT0445.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 142
  • PICT0444.JPG
    PICT0444.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 146
  • PICT0442.JPG
    PICT0442.JPG
    216.7 KB · Views: 137
  • PICT0439.JPG
    PICT0439.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 166
  • PICT0432.JPG
    PICT0432.JPG
    258.6 KB · Views: 144
  • PICT0428.JPG
    PICT0428.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 167
  • PICT0426.JPG
    PICT0426.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 144
  • PICT0425.JPG
    PICT0425.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 146
  • PICT0420.JPG
    PICT0420.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 143
  • PICT0419.JPG
    PICT0419.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 151
  • PICT0417.JPG
    PICT0417.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 155
  • PICT0416.JPG
    PICT0416.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 155

space shuttle

Nice write up! I have one question about the Rock Set up, when you turn it on to heat the hand warmers, how is the temperature controlled? my thought is you either have them on or off, turning them off when they get too hot. I know when you turn the Rock set up off you can use the factory set up which we all know barely makes any heat. So is it a pain to keep cycling the hand warmers on and off.

Another question is what is all the stuff mounted on the handlebars and dash? GPS and what else? :bling :bling

When you stop for a break, do you have a theft deterent?

Thank you !
My own warmers were absolutely useless and I prefer to ride with lighter gloves to get better feel through the bars so when I tested the install out I put on my "warm weather" gloves on a minus 15F day!!! So this is how it goes...

I prefer to start up the sled minimum load on the ECU and as soon as its running switch the unit ON. Turn down the factory switched setting from the handlebar control to zero bars. Red light comes on showing full power under idle to the warmers = warmers get hot very quickly but you can leave them like this - no problem. I tried it in my shop at 60F and they are fine.
So riding the sled and in cold weather I kept them ON running all morning - Toasty even with the lighter gloves. By mid day temps came up to 20F so needed to decrease the heat. Simply hit the factory rocker switch and adjust the bars on the display from zero to max. This stops the controller full power to the bars and now everything is warmed up... I actually turned them down later to about half. The controller is having no effect at this point but still switched on with green light is just waiting for you to get cold enough to need full power again and when you do just set the bars on the guage to zero again, red light blinks and goes on and voila....plenty heat again.
It is very simple to use and the control is perfect.
Just remember when you have the controller turned on it only kicks in when you go to zero bars on the factory settings - once toasty return to max bars and come down as needed. When it goes colder later in the day or after a stop. just go back to zero bars and the heats all yours.
One thing you should note on the GT is that when you switch modes to control suspension with the same rocker switch = whatever setting you have on the heat will continue and be stored - just the same as always. So the controller works regardless of the mode selection.
Works like a dream! Short answer ...NO its no pain at all...get one!
Hope this is helpful

Sorry didnt see the last part about all the other "Stuff" and had to go to the pix to see what I had shown...

On the console top Right is the power commander LCD set up by Allen Ulmer....Fantastic!
Top left digital read out for water temperature also works as clock when engine is not running and tells me how much aggrevation I will get once I return home - again from Ulmer.
Far left analog Temp guage stolen from my Honda Valkyrie until I can find a digital solution...just gives me the ambient temp so I know whether my beer will be frozen or not when I get back to the truck!!! Any ideas on a digital???
LH side console mid is the Rockmeister Controller switch and LED
Below this is a digital LED Voltmeter that tells me what the ECU is putting out...and IF its putting anything out. Hate riding out into nowhere on a full battery and then have nothing to get me home!!! Automatically dims at night.
Bottom RH side switched power to sled LED lightshow!!! Dancing girls everything...
Orange box on riser protector is one of the SPOT units that can either generate an OK signal, track, send a help signal or go full 911 emergengy call up. Sends signal via sattelite regardless of where you are to any computer and cell phone with link that shows on google earth.....Guys this is fantastic for keeping the missus calm when you are out exploring someones creative trail signing at 2am in the morning. No cellphone coverage. But remember it will always tell her where the box is....not you!
Link
http://www.findmespot.com/en/

Also on the riser - emergency flashlight and on backside utility knife handy for extracting boy scouts from horses hooves and also opening trail end beer, slitting wrists after passing same same trail sign 9 times at 2.30 am
Larger box mounted to LH hand protector is the new CSS trail signalling system that tell on comming sled if anyone is following.
Link
http://www.communicationsafetysystem.com/home.php

Now I look at it I guess there is a lot of stuff on there but you know what...its all used. I did 7000 m with that sled last year= No incidents and have 2500 so far this year and every bit helps on those lonely nights when it hits the fan!
Hope this is helpful. If you need any more info let me know.

RacerDave said:
Nice write up markddapexgt. I hooked up the power similar to yours. I have bullet connectors on my jump leads for a small charger in the summer. I plugged in that way.

Here's a link to a digi air temp gauge with a few other toys:

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/5-F ... 16951.html

Many thanks - that looks much better all the info in one unit . Its a shame that Yamaha seem to ignore this instrumentation tho you can get the barometric pressure off the speedo.....just in case you need this kind of info on a minus 20F morning!!!
Thats a great link thanks.

what year is your apex? i guess there is a difference is wiring techniques from 06 and the newer ones. ski

skidooboy said:
what year is your apex? i guess there is a difference is wiring techniques from 06 and the newer ones. ski

The sled is the 2007 Apex GT. I believe that you are correct - there is a wiring difference between the 06 and 07.

Back