• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Code # 12 Crankshaft Position Sensor/Apex wont start

Changed out tbo on my Apex, I havent ran since last spring. I tried to start and came up with a code 12 - Crankshaft position sensor. Only thing out of the ordinary, I left the key on all summer and killed the battery. Anyone have this happen?

thx, Recharged battery, no change?

Adrenaline Addiction said:
Changed out tbo on my Apex, I havent ran since last spring. I tried to start and came up with a code 12 - Crankshaft position sensor. Only thing out of the ordinary, I left the key on all summer and killed the battery. Anyone have this happen?

thx, Recharged battery, no change?

Hope you have warranty. Get ready to replace the stator assembly.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... light=code

I have only heard of a couple that had this problem. You and I are one of the lucky ones.

You may want to consider testing the stator before attempting to replace it. While you are at it, you can also test the Crank Position Sensor too. Maybe all you need to do is check the connector or reposition and re-insulate a chaffed wire. Do you need some instructions for these simple and quick checks?

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=76753

Sorry, have 2 threads going on this, I'll keep the other one updated. Been real busy at work the last week. I did have a chance to unhook my RB3 and plug back to factory, no change. I borrowed a stator from a buddy, I am going to test and try it ASAP. Went to test my stator the other day and my multimeter was pooched, need to get a replacement.

:drink: AA

For stator testing you want to have a good meter. The tolerance is really tight. (i.e. you are dealing with < 1 ohm.) This is one test where an analog meter is relatively worthless. Also, you can test the spare stator and see what the reading is and compare it to the one in your sled. But I suspect you may have already done that. What is the chance that the spare could be bad? I mean, why would it be out of the engine? I guess I am just naturally suspicious, when it comes to spare electrical components. Especially when they are a bugger to remove.

fxr wrote:
i,m getting the same code. before i would take it apart you should check the resistence with a meter. take apart the coupler at the front of the sled (black,grey wire) positve probe on grey should be between 445-545 at 68 degrees. i,ve checked mine and it is allright.i,ve been all through the harness and i can,t see anything. my trouble is the sled is in my garage up north so it is tough to get to the dealer. if you find something out please post it. thanks!

I checked the resistance of both the borrowed and mine and they are both at approx .490? What now?

Adrenaline Addiction said:
I checked the resistance of both the borrowed and mine and they are both at approx 490? What now?
Do you mean .490 ohms? With both being the same, I would bet that your stator is O.K. Or, there is a chance that they are both bad.

Glad to see that you got it figured out w/o changing the stator and crank sensor.

You might want to consider listing all your mods in your signature. That makes it easier for us to know what equipment you have involved. That way we can help better. :)

Back