• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

12 Crankshaft position sensor & wont start?

Changed out tbo on my Apex, I havent ran since last spring. I tried to start and came up with a code 12 - Crankshaft position sensor. Only thing out of the ordinary, I left the key on all summer and killed the battery. Anyone have this happen?

thx, AA

Make sure your crankshaft position sensor is plugged in. This should be the problem. It is unlikely that the stator is bad. Also, what kind of turbo did you install. The RB3 box has a plug in for the crankshaft position sensor that I have seen guys plug into the wrong plug and then the error code goes off.

racinstation said:
Make sure your crankshaft position sensor is plugged in. This should be the problem. It is unlikely that the stator is bad. Also, what kind of turbo did you install. The RB3 box has a plug in for the crankshaft position sensor that I have seen guys plug into the wrong plug and then the error code goes off.

I have not touched my RB3 or my wiring, all I physically did is remove my 2860 and replace with a 2871. The center cartridge went out last spring, it was running when I shut it off, I just left the key on all summer :o| . The sled is a midmount so I wasn't close to any of the wiring. I will recheck all of the wiring though. thx

Update

I haven't had much time to play with the sled this week, I did however, unhook the RB3 and plug everything back into factory, no change. Going to test the stator this weekend, I have a spare if needed. :drink:

fxr wrote:
i,m getting the same code. before i would take it apart you should check the resistence with a meter. take apart the coupler at the front of the sled (black,grey wire) positve probe on grey should be between 445-545 at 68 degrees. i,ve checked mine and it is allright.i,ve been all through the harness and i can,t see anything. my trouble is the sled is in my garage up north so it is tough to get to the dealer. if you find something out please post it. thanks!

I checked the resistance of both the borrowed and mine and they are both at approx 490? What now?

You made sure the sensor is plugged in? I know the wires actually come out of my plug harness if it's pulled on to hard.

Soooo......I unhooked the RB3 box and plugged back into factory, no change, tested the resistance of the Crankshaft position sensor
(490 good), went through all of the wiring, connections 2X etc, etc. Tonight I looked at connectors/wiring etc again, I unhooked the RB3 again, code 12 still on as usual. I turned the sled over for about 5-8 seconds and the code went away and stayed off. :Rockon: I plugged in my RB3 and all is well? I guess it just had a bad signal from the Crank position sensor and had to clear itself by turning over for a while? Problem gone. I will throw some dielectric grease in the plugs and throw in a new battery. Looks like nothing was wrong. I had turned the sled over before but only for 1-2 seconds. :dunno:

Thanks for all of the help :letsnow:

Adrenaline Addiction said:
Soooo......I unhooked the RB3 box and plugged back into factory, no change, tested the resistance of the Crankshaft position sensor
(490 good), went through all of the wiring, connections 2X etc, etc. Tonight I looked at connectors/wiring etc again, I unhooked the RB3 again, code 12 still on as usual. I turned the sled over for about 5-8 seconds and the code went away and stayed off. :Rockon: I plugged in my RB3 and all is well? I guess it just had a bad signal from the Crank position sensor and had to clear itself by turning over for a while? Problem gone. I will throw some dielectric grease in the plugs and throw in a new battery. Looks like nothing was wrong. I had turned the sled over before but only for 1-2 seconds. :dunno:

Thanks for all of the help :letsnow:

Just to share my experience with you. When my code 12 first appeared the same exact thing happened to me. I tried cranking it for a bit and bam she fired up. I probably put another 100-200 miles on her after that. Then the light came back on and would not go off this time. Luckily it happened when I went to leave from home becasue she would not start up after that. I would still be concerned with it if I were you.

Back