• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

apex turbo fuel pump problems

FLYBYU

VIP Member
Yesterday at the grass drags the sled was running strong till the finals and then I couldn't get over 2.5 lbs of boost and then it falls on it's face. This morning I checked all hose connections and carb boots and all are tight. When I burp the throttle it kind of stumbles and if I let off of it quick it'll die. I have maxnos racing fuel in it which is 116 octane. Cr10ek spark plugs. Could this be the problem. (fouled plugs)

Is the turbo still spinning?
What fuel controller are you using? Check the ground lead.

mbarryracing said:
Is the turbo still spinning?
What fuel controller are you using? Check the ground lead.

The turbo is spinnig. Using the rb3. It's grounded to the battery negative. Tried without rb3 on stand and with the boost tube off and still when i burp the throttle a few times and let off it dies. Tried spraying carb cleaner all around the intake boots to see if it's leaking there and the engine never missed a beat. Just wondering with these fuel settings i have, that the c16 fuel is just to much. I did have some 100 octane left in the tank prior to me putting in the c16. I made 3 runs at the races that were good with no problems. Could the fuel be the problem? I haven't checked yet but i had to have my down pipe rewelded due to the install of the 4 tube header. If it broke or cracked? The plugs are just a pain in the #*$&@ to get to. Just trying to rule everything else out. Thanks

nothing. This doesn't sound like something internal does it? It would pull hard to 2.5 p.s.i. boost and then starts breaking up. starts right up. No weird noises. Just a little back firing threw the carbs now when i let off the throttle quickly and squeeze it again.

I disconnected rb3 and tried with same results with engine dying if I whack and get off it quick on the stand. As I stated before it pulls hard to about 2.5 psi and then sputters and misses. If I burnt a valve would it still do that? Or lost compression?

To me it sounds as not enough fuel when boost is added.
Check connections to map sensor, boost line and connection to RB3.

It would still rev up under boost if you had low compression in a cylinder and would smoke some.
Also not the 116 you were running because it would have done thiat right off the bat and not after 3 full passes.

I agree with TBird, it sounds like fuel... maybe pressure related.
What kind of pump are you using? Stock or inline high pressure? Maybe the pump is going away...

Good morning. Ok, checked the map sensor this morning with a meter and the voltage did fluctuate while blowing in to it. Getting a fuel pressure gauge this morning. When i turn the inline pump on and off it sometimes it makes a growling noise. Maybe the problem. It's the inline that comes with the cpr kit. There was no smoke

Back