TY 4 Stroke - Totallyamaha Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MemberlistPosting Rules  MemberlistTY Chat SearchYamaha Parts FinderMemberlistOn-Line Store MemberlistVIP

Log in to check your private messagesActive Topic (24h)  (12h)  Log in to check your private messagesMapMemberlistTY.NET Classifieds Log in to check your private messagesTY Webmail

MemberlistTY Tech

MemberlistTY Home

MemberlistTY Forum

MemberlistATV Forum

Sno Scoot Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TY 4 Stroke - Totallyamaha Forum Index -> General Yamaha Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peakperf
Extreme

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Sno Scoot Problems Reply with quote

I know this isn't the correct forum but I can't seem to login anywhere else on the TY forum.

My GP292 oval racer tow sled, 1988 Sno Scoot, has an issue that I can't figure out. The motor will start on the 1st kick and run great with the choke on. Once you take the choke off, the engine starts to race like the throttle is stuck (but it isn't). Put the choke back on and it idles right back down. I cleaned the carbs but it doesn't seem to help. This carb has 2 electrical wires that connect to the idle screw that I'm not sure what they do, but it won't run with them unplugged. I'm pretty good at solving basic engine problems, but this little motor has me stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

rupprider
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly crankshaft seals. When engine starts to race (rev up), it means it's going lean. Can you squirt oil around the seal area while it's running? Not familiar first hand with the Scoots! Good luck.
couch
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the service manual? Pull the choke plunger to make sure that it isn't sticking and that its clean. Check the play in the choke cable - 2 mm free play when you pull up on the cable if memory serves me correct.

I had a sport that I bought for parts ... previous owner(s) had #ucked up a few things) when I adjusted the carb settings according to the manual it starts easy and runs smoothly.

The two wires are for the TORS switch which is located on the idle adjustment - to disable / bypass it you have to disconnect and plug each of the two ends coming from the throttle into one another.
scott17
VIP Member
VIP Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude 1oo percent carb problem NOT crank seals. the carb has tiny holes and u need to soak the carb. been wrkn on sleds 4 20 yrs and lots and lots of scoots and sports and never one crank seal job !!!! inside the card u will find rubber plugs and a oring bowl gasket so do u self a favor and get new ones before taking appart. Yamaha Rule
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TY 4 Stroke - Totallyamaha Forum Index -> General Yamaha Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: