• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Sno Scoot Problems

peakperf

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
1972 GP292, 1972 GP433, 1972 GP643, 2003 RX1, 2007 Phazer GT
I know this isn't the correct forum but I can't seem to login anywhere else on the TY forum.

My GP292 oval racer tow sled, 1988 Sno Scoot, has an issue that I can't figure out. The motor will start on the 1st kick and run great with the choke on. Once you take the choke off, the engine starts to race like the throttle is stuck (but it isn't). Put the choke back on and it idles right back down. I cleaned the carbs but it doesn't seem to help. This carb has 2 electrical wires that connect to the idle screw that I'm not sure what they do, but it won't run with them unplugged. I'm pretty good at solving basic engine problems, but this little motor has me stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

Possibly crankshaft seals. When engine starts to race (rev up), it means it's going lean. Can you squirt oil around the seal area while it's running? Not familiar first hand with the Scoots! Good luck.

Do you have the service manual? Pull the choke plunger to make sure that it isn't sticking and that its clean. Check the play in the choke cable - 2 mm free play when you pull up on the cable if memory serves me correct.

I had a sport that I bought for parts ... previous owner(s) had #ucked up a few things) when I adjusted the carb settings according to the manual it starts easy and runs smoothly.

The two wires are for the TORS switch which is located on the idle adjustment - to disable / bypass it you have to disconnect and plug each of the two ends coming from the throttle into one another.

dude 1oo percent carb problem NOT crank seals. the carb has tiny holes and u need to soak the carb. been wrkn on sleds 4 20 yrs and lots and lots of scoots and sports and never one crank seal job !!!! inside the card u will find rubber plugs and a oring bowl gasket so do u self a favor and get new ones before taking appart. :yam:

Did you ever figure this out? I have a scoot doing the exact same thing!

Finally figured out there was a tear in gasket under the reed cage. Since you cannot buy that gasket anymore I made a new one and now it's running great.

Back