• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Subframe repair/reinforcement

Dimebag

TY 4 Stroke God
Website
www.ty4stroke.com
Hi,

I am in the process of changing my 2008 "custom bent" subframe.

I have a new frame ready to be installed, but i want to straighten out and reinforce the old frame before I continue, so that i can have it as my backup frame.

How do you straighten out these frames, and where do you reinforce them?

I know there are beef-up kits out there, but i dont have the time to order that now, as I have too much work and too little time to wait for it to get overseas.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Thanks

Grizztracks does an excellent job on the subframes. His final product looks like it was made in the factory. I'm sure he will chime in and give you some hints.

As far as straighting. Big bar between a arms and some spinach. Make sure you bend it the right way and don't expect it to be perfect.
As for the reinforcements I built my own kinda like gruzz tracks but een beefyer basically I did the centre plate but made my own for the front the bends upwards in the down tube supports and back and down around where the bolts for the aarms go. I then drilled holes in my plate so the factory bolt will fit and still contact correctly. J dud the same for the back ( down around where bolts go) so I pretty much made my own cap that goes over the factory aarm support.
With this said I had my sub frame on the kitchen table and made cardboard cut outs that fit to my desire(once you have it out you can tell where te week spots would be) unfortunately this takes along time and then bending the plates drilling holes welding etc. It I no quick fix. A kit if available would save much time but personally j wanted to bend my arms not the subframe next time I hit hard

I've repaired and reinforced several bent frames. I found it easier to straighten the frame with it still mounted. The pry bar method works well if the frame is only slightly bent but I've had a few that required a little more persuasion so I built a jig and use an old arm to align things. The center gusset plate is always bent so I cut it out before attempting to do repairs. Also the subframe's a-arm bolt holes are almost always egged out which can account for a lot of the lower a-arm misalignment. I partially fill the holes with weld then die grind them out to bring them back to specs. On my own Nytro I've welded the nuts to the subframe mounts similar to how the upper a-arm are mounted.

Check out my pictures: http://s589.photobucket.com/albums/ss33 ... %20gusset/
If you have any questions on straightening and gusseting the frame send me a PM and I'd be happy to help out.

The jig is still a work in progress:
IMG_0911.jpg

A-armrearmount.jpg

are you tig welding these reinforcements in or Mig welding. I bought the kit from you earlier this summer and am debating on whether to mig it myself or have someone tig it. I think mine is ever so slightly tweaked based on the space between the shock springs on each side. Is this a good way to tell? The plate with the hole in it has a very slight wave to it.

thanks

kirk

Mig it :Rockon:

Judging by the splater on his, it was done with a Mig as well. Really no reason to spend money to have it Tig welded. ;)!

rlcofmn said:

Judging by the splater on his, it was done with a Mig as well. Really no reason to spend money to have it Tig welded. ;)!

x2

use the pry bar method to center up the shocks and mig the gussets in. You can cut out the bent center plate and replace it if you have concerns but I don't think it's a must. I've been replacing it because it's always bent and with a 12 ga. chromoly replacement installed the Roest skid plate has better backing and support.

Where should i measure to find out where its bent? I got both frames laying on the garage floor right now.

I just wanna get started mounting the new one.. :-o

As long as you have good lower a-arms and tight bushings this method works for checking frame alignment. Make sure you check the mounting holes in the frame for egging.

IMG_0914.jpg

Hehe, i got some a-arms. They are absolutely not good.

Did som measurements, and the frame did not seem that bad. Seems like i got it straightened out pretty good when i jigged it earlier this season.

The a-arms are much worse.. Its a good thing my skinz concept front end is right around the corner..

Thanks for the pictures. Looks very good! ;)!

grizztracks said:
rlcofmn said:

x2

use the pry bar method to center up the shocks and mig the gussets in. You can cut out the bent center plate and replace it if you have concerns but I don't think it's a must. I've been replacing it because it's always bent and with a 12 ga. chromoly replacement installed the Roest skid plate has better backing and support.
i installed gussets similar to what you have done,and i think it is a good idea,but in addition,you mention the skid plate,i think that this is important also,i built one similar to roests',but used tee nuts welded to the frame to mount the skid plate,if for no other reason to see if i could hold the frame square.during the course of the season i sheared off the bolts a couple times,so in my mind there is some racking going on,that the skid plate is helping to reduce.

I have grizz's reinforcements on my sled and they stood up well last season. I don't want to say more then that out of fear of jinxing myself. I had an aircraft welder Tig them in for me for $20! (I had done the prep for him)

Back