• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex Chaincase Oil Change

donkickit

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 viper ltx se
2007 Apex RTX

Figured I would share my experience changing the chaincase oil. 2600 miles figured it was time. I can't figure out why Yamaha put the drain plug on the inside of the frame? Why not on the bottom outside of the chaincase?

Steps:
Warm up sled.
Remove 12mm drain plug.
wait 10 minutes.
Filled back up with AMSOIL Chaincase Oil series 2000

It's tough to get the fluid back in, so I used a funnel with a small plastic hose. Napa $2.99. Job took about 1 hour, first time for me, so I'm slow.

Attachments

• apex chaincase3 december 2011.jpg
    apex chaincase3 december 2011.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 2,042
  • apex chaincase4 december 2011.jpg
    apex chaincase4 december 2011.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 3,268
  • apex chaincase december 2011.jpg
    apex chaincase december 2011.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 2,104

donkickit said:
I put in 8 ounces, that seemed to do the trick.

That is the going rate however when I did mine, I only put in 7 oz's and noticed it is full past the standard arrows?

I do have reverse but have read countless times, 8 oz's is the going amount.

I let it drain probably about an hour (did oil/filter change at same time) and was surprised 7 oz's put it past the full mark?

I did run the sled, spun the track numerous times and it still reads high. :dunno:

Check your clutch cover spec. decal. 8.5 oz is the correct amount. Use the dipstick only for occasionally checking if low, not for initial amount.

ecopter said:
Nobody reads the owner's manual anymore.

I was going by my manual when I bought my sled but the level seemed suspect to me so I asked here.

Most of the replies I received said to add 8 oz's whether you had reverse or not? :dunno:

Old thread I know, but the dipstick question was never really answered. If you read in the engine oil
section it tells you to not screw the stick into the hole
to check it. If you check the gear case in the same manner, only letting the black rubber part touch the top of the case, while holding off center. 8.5 Ounces
comes out right on the stick for the reverse case at
least. Maybe someone can verify without reverse.

Back