• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Simmons Carbides

Blue Me

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Here are the pics I've been promising all you guy's. I finally found them!! You'll notice that there is now 3 hard carbide flat inserts in the front and a progressive rise to the cutter to even out wear and increase bite. I have about 400 miles on them and they :Rockon: BIGTIME. This is a HUGE improvement over the last style.

Attachments

• Simmons 3 hardbar carbides.JPG
    Simmons 3 hardbar carbides.JPG
    171 KB · Views: 324
  • Simmons new carbides.JPG
    Simmons new carbides.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 245
  • Simmons progressive rise carbide.JPG
    Simmons progressive rise carbide.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 260

Go directly to Val @ Simmons. These are prototypes however they look like they are gonna be the standard.

yamabluerx1 said:
Trust me the Bergstroms are WAY too much $$$$$$$$$$$$

I had been getting real tired in recent years of throwing $60-$80 down the hole on carbides just to find the damn things worn round after a single ride or two...

This time...I did my homework...on this board and multiple other resources. Finally...after an hour conversation with Scott at Bergstrom...I had a set of the new triple skegs on their way...

So far...people are claiming that they are getting 7...8...9,000 miles out of a single set with continued satisfactory performance beyond that...

This patented design is truly unique and ingenious as they virtually *self sharpen* and maintains the apex of one of the three carbides in a cutting position throughout the radius of a turn... From what I hear...pushing is a thing of the past with them...and you'll never have to pick up the rear end of your sled in a bare parking lot ever again...

Longevity is the biggie for me...and these are made from a proprietary hardened metal alloy that I'm told nothing ever on the market has been able to come within a country mile of...

Is the purchase price higher? Yup. Do they cost more? NO! Not if they perform like everyone tells me they do...

I'll pay twice as much all day long for something that gives me 4X the performance... ;)!

Bergstroms are not any more expensive than any other QUALITY carbide. Simmons has been working on these for a year as They told me about them last summer. They now realize that flatlanders need a better carbide than mountain riders.

Jim

I've been using Roetin. I have 3800 miles on them and they will still make another season. Don't know if they make them for your skis though.

Stormbringr1 said:
yamabluerx1 said:

I had been getting real tired in recent years of throwing $60-$80 down the hole on carbides just to find the damn things worn round after a single ride or two...

This time...I did my homework...on this board and multiple other resources. Finally...after an hour conversation with Scott at Bergstrom...I had a set of the new triple skegs on their way...

So far...people are claiming that they are getting 7...8...9,000 miles out of a single set with continued satisfactory performance beyond that...

This patented design is truly unique and ingenious as they virtually *self sharpen* and maintains the apex of one of the three carbides in a cutting position throughout the radius of a turn... From what I hear...pushing is a thing of the past with them...and you'll never have to pick up the rear end of your sled in a bare parking lot ever again...

Longevity is the biggie for me...and these are made from a proprietary hardened metal alloy that I'm told nothing ever on the market has been able to come within a country mile of...

Is the purchase price higher? Yup. Do they cost more? NO! Not if they perform like everyone tells me they do...

I'll pay twice as much all day long for something that gives me 4X the performance... ;)!

Well excuse me!! I was giving my personal opinion as to whether or not you had deep pcokets but obviously you do. FYI I've had the same carbides from Simmons on my skis since I bought my 2001 SRX in November of 2000. But hey what do I know.

yamabluerx1 said:
Stormbringr1 said:
yamabluerx1 said:

Well excuse me!! I was giving my personal opinion as to whether or not you had deep pcokets but obviously you do. FYI I've had the same carbides from Simmons on my skis since I bought my 2001 SRX in November of 2000. But hey what do I know.

??? :? Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers there pardner...just thought you might be interested in hearing about another option for carbides that seem to be well thought of. I thought that was what these boards were for...sharing information? Anyway...no offense intended... :Rockon:

Go to the Bergstrom website and see the wear test. I bought a set for me and a set for my friend and they ARE impressive looking! LARGE Hardened bar with BIG carbide that goes deep...they made my old set of Woody's look cheap! If they wear 2 to one like Scott says they will and to me ...sure looks like they might, I'll be very pleased!http://www.bergstromskegs.com/ ;)!

I'm running a set of 4 bergstrom 6" on mine, seems to bite really well.

Those pictures of the "progressive" simmons bars make them look pretty similar to the original *CRAP* bars that the skis came with. I really hate how the angle of the carbide is set to DRIVE the front of the skis DOWN. This will CAUSE darting and premature wear and negate the effect of ski shims.

The bergstrom bars have curved carbide that let the ski sit level rather than driving the front into the ground.

Back