• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha Sliders

mryamaha

Extreme
Hi guys, I am looking to buy my next sled. I have a 2009 Nytro XTX with 6 thousand miles on it. This will be sled #26 from Yamaha for me. I have been riding them since I was a kid. I want to know when Yamaha will ever fix the slider burning problem. I don't want to spend $300 on a bigger set of wheels for it, I think its time for Yamaha to aunty up and FIX THE PROBLEM. Scratchers are not a fix and ordering some other manutactures wheels is not one either. Who knows if that will even work.
My challenge to Yamaha Canada is to ride with us and see that we are actually in snow and watch them still burn. I have had this problem even when I was back on my 2 strokes, it is time to fix it. Whenever I ride with a DOO, Cat or POO the problem becomes more pronounced, I burn they don't. Some of the guys with other brands I ride with have never changed sliders in 6 thousand miles, I have had to change some sets in 6 hundred miles.
YAMAHA TAKE THE CHALLENGE!!!

I can assure you that the bigger wheels do work. I'm on the same set of slides that I put on last season. I hated going to a different manufacturer to get bigger wheels but had no choice. If that bothers you go to Exceell and by a set of their wheels. I agree, Yamaha should have fixed problem but for me it's not an issue anymore.

Strange.... I put on 5300 miles on my 1st set of slides, ran them down to 1/8 to 1/16 of the line and they sat there for 2300 miles.

I have not changed my sliders in three years of riding. Changing them now not because I have too but just because the skid is out and its just too easy to change them. Thats on a 151 with 2 inch paddles.

Glad to here the wheels work. I buy my sleds from Winnipeg Sport and Leisure in Winnipeg, they have over 100 complaints about sliders from customers. I know they have told any rep that will listen. Conditions were great here this year, we had lots of snow and now have a flood watch because of it. I still had problems. We get mornings here where I am the first on the trail at 9 AM and the trail is as hard as a rock, that is where most of the problem is. I have learned on those days to hang at the back and let the other guys lead to chew up the trail. I am constantly dipping off the trail to scoop snow.

MrSled said:
Strange.... I put on 5300 miles on my 1st set of slides, ran them down to 1/8 to 1/16 of the line and they sat there for 2300 miles.

I have 8,200 miles on my sled and this is the second set of slides. Only changed them a couple years ago because I wanted red slides. Yamaha slides run down quick to a point and just stay there afterwards. Also, I think alot of guys tend to run their tracks too tight.

RX-1MAN said:
MrSled said:

I have 8,200 miles on my sled and this is the second set of slides. Only changed them a couple years ago because I wanted red slides. Yamaha slides run down quick to a point and just stay there afterwards. Also, I think alot of guys tend to run their tracks too tight.
I truely think that we are changing them to early. I put a new track on my sled and was replacing my slides ever few hundred miles due to getting close to the "Yamaha buy a new pair line" So this season I did not replace them when they got to the line, I rode another 800 miles and still see no change. I even rode the morning frozen hard trail and my wife riding behind me said I can smell your slides burning and I have 1200 miles on them without a change. My wifes and sons sleds are running shadetree riders choice slides without the line to fool you, they have been on for a few seasons now. This summer when I pull my skid to change my exhaust doughnuts :o| I will get a true look at them and see how close they might be.
:4STroke: :yam: :rocks:

03RX1-ER-LE said:
RX-1MAN said:
MrSled said:

I truely think that we are changing them to early. I put a new track on my sled and was replacing my slides ever few hundred miles due to getting close to the "Yamaha buy a new pair line" So this season I did not replace them when they got to the line, I rode another 800 miles and still see no change. I even rode the morning frozen hard trail and my wife riding behind me said I can smell your slides burning and I have 1200 miles on them without a change. My wifes and sons sleds are running shadetree riders choice slides without the line to fool you, they have been on for a few seasons now. This summer when I pull my skid to change my exhaust doughnuts :o| I will get a true look at them and see how close they might be.
:4STroke: :yam: :rocks:

I drill a hole in them at a few key spots to keep track of the true thickness.

As long as there are folks out there that keep buying Yamaha's wheels as replacements, then they aren't gonna fix the slider issue. It's a money making venture for them and they are making a lot of money on them.

Yes, there are some folks here that are not experiencing excessive slider wear, but try a search here and you will see a great many who are and are looking for solutions. Entering "slide and wear" in the search feature cites 487 topics on the issue, not number of posts, but topics.

Not sure how it can be so different from one sled to another of the same model. I'll get an easy 3k miles on mine, and at that point I'm just changing them as part of my PM.

dilligaf said:
Not sure how it can be so different from one sled to another of the same model. I'll get an easy 3k miles on mine, and at that point I'm just changing them as part of my PM.

X2, Only change as a PM.....

sometimes it is only a suspension adjustment. as soon as i set mine up, my problems went away and i toasted 2 sets in 500km before that in fresh snow. the only reason i replaced them, was because i was replacing the track and had the skid out.

Good luck man!!! I bought at WSL as well. The Yamaha rep wont even return my call.
he is Gary Williams his office is in Kenora 807-468-7533 you give it a try

zeke-xtx said:
Good luck man!!! I bought at WSL as well. The Yamaha rep wont even return my call.
he is Gary Williams his office is in Kenora 807-468-7533 you give it a try
Have you called to complain to Yamaha Canada?
Thanks for the luck. I need it. I just want them to address the problem, I ride with about 5 guys that would switch to Yamaha if we could get rid of this little problem. Every time I pull out on a lake that is flat and groomed I know I will not blow the motor like my Polaris buddies so I just want to hammer it all the way across so that they run the risk of burning down but what happens is I cant because usually I feel my sliders sticking after a mile or so.
I called down to Minneapolis for a price on a new sled today and the dealer there says he gets tons of slider complaints there also. He told me he would throw in a set of scratchers. LOL
COME ON YAMAHA FIX IT!!!!!

The only place I had my slides wear down fast was at the front curve on the rails. I pulled my limitar strap tighter one hole and added low snow wheels. I have about 2500 km's on the set that's in there now and still have about half left.

Not only did it slow down the wear but it made the sled handle better with more weight on the skis.

Back