• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Cylinder Question

Yamaharida14

I just honed my Rx1 Cylinders. Three of them turned out great but the #4 cylinder has a couple of scratches one of them I can feel with my finger nail. Just wonder if it would be alright to add the piston or should I have it repaired. Its my understanding that the cylinders are nikasel so it will have to be re coated right? I tried to upload a picture but it wouldn't let me. If your really interested I could email it to you.

Yamaharida14 said:
I just honed my Rx1 Cylinders. Three of them turned out great but the #4 cylinder has a couple of scratches one of them I can feel with my finger nail. Just wonder if it would be alright to add the piston or should I have it repaired. Its my understanding that the cylinders are nikasel so it will have to be re coated right? I tried to upload a picture but it wouldn't let me. If your really interested I could email it to you.

Your cylinders are nikasil coated, and you didn't really do anything to them by honing with (I assume) a stone or ball hone - you need a diamond hone to properly hatch these cylinders.

You shouldn't feel anything in the bore whatsoever, certainly not something that catches your fingernail.

Where are you located? (Actually, put it in your profile - it's a site requirement). There are good shops in both the US and Canada that can re-nik it for you, or give it a proper honing.

Why is the engine apart in the first place?

I honed my cylinders with a ball hone that was supposed to be designed to break the glaze on nikasel cylinders. I removed the engine this summer because last ridding season I was burning a liter of oil every 300km, very annoying when you take long trips. The rings were shot they tapered out towards the cylinder wall edge and had enormous ring gap. So it probably looks like ill have to send the cylinders out for re-coat right? Cause I imagine if I get one re-coated might as well get them all done.

Yamaharida14 said:
I honed my cylinders with a ball hone that was supposed to be designed to break the glaze on nikasel cylinders. I removed the engine this summer because last ridding season I was burning a liter of oil every 300km, very annoying when you take long trips. The rings were shot they tapered out towards the cylinder wall edge and had enormous ring gap. So it probably looks like ill have to send the cylinders out for re-coat right? Cause I imagine if I get one re-coated might as well get them all done.

The process of replating your block will result in all four bores being re-done.

Given your location, you could give CV Tech a call - they've done many cylinders for me over the years and do excellent work.

http://www.cvtech-aab.com/contenu/index_ang.cfm

You might also want to give Millenium a call and see who they have close to you as a service depot.

http://www.mt-llc.com/

Hard to say if you will need to re-plate the block without actually seeing/measuring it (the diamond hone either of these shops use can do a lot more to the cylinder than the ball hone you used). That said, I think it is more likely than not that you will be getting the block re-nik'd.

Back