• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Reverse gear switch

Mooseman

I'm not all knowing. Post your question in forum.
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
'07 Venture MP (gone)
'07 Phazer FX (gone)
'09 Phazer GT (gone)
'10 RS Venture GT (My current ride)
'10 Nytro FX (son's)
Just bought a 2009 Phazer GT for my son. Has about 4500 Km and in fair shape but the reverse does not work properly. After adjusting the chain, taking out the gear motor and checking it out and so on, determined that the reverse gear switch is not sending the signal to the PCM to tell it that reverse is engaged. The light just flashes and it won't let the engine spin fast enough to move it. If I short the wire for that switch after engaging reverse, it works fine.

Is it possible that the switch has failed? Or is it the motor not shifting it fully enough to push the switch? Is there an adjustment for it? If replacement of the switch is required, can it be done without taking out the whole secondary shaft and reverse gear? Checked the manual and it doesn't talk about the switch at all. Looking at the Parts Finder, the switch looks like it's just screwed in.

Thanks.

My 08 Phazer sometimes won't go into reverse ... I just stand up and rock the sled and it goes into reverse... a few times I have had to shut the sled off and restart it ... my sled has done this since I picked it up in 09.

Yeah, my '07 MP used to do that until I re-adjusted the drive chain. It has to be on the loose side. Manual says finger tight and backed off 1/4 turn. I adjusted it to just when I felt contact with the chain and backed it off 1/4.

For this '09 Phazer, it will not work at all, even lifting the rear, pushing and pulling it. Only when I short the reverse gear switch wire to ground will the engine work normally since the gear itself is engaged. Still waiting for the switch and I think I figured out how to remove it.

There was a recall in 08 regarding a "no shift" problem. If your getting a flashing light with reverse selected. They addressed it by shimming the secondary and changing belt size. You might want to look into it..

canoehead said:
There was a recall in 08 regarding a "no shift" problem. If your getting a flashing light with reverse selected. They addressed it by shimming the secondary and changing belt size. You might want to look into it..

It looks like Mooseman had ruled that out. It looks like if he bypasses the switch it works fine.

yamahas said:
canoehead said:

It looks like Mooseman had ruled that out. It looks like if he bypasses the switch it works fine.
My bad for not reading the thread thoroughly!! LOL

Yes but it was a weird problem. Got a new reverse switch but I tested the old one with a meter, it worked fine. Took out the the gear shift motor and actuated the reverse gear by hand and it works fine. It just didn't push the switch enough, if at all. I then removed the switch again and re-installed it without the thick aluminum gasket. When I engaged reverse by hand, the switch worked and I could feel its resistance on the shift fork. Wondering why it would do that, I used my borescope to look inside and I could see the part of the shift fork that contacts the switch was indented. I also tried a thinner copper washer on the switch and it still wouldn't work. So I put some thread sealer on the switch and re-installed it without any washer. I couldn't finish the job completely since the O-ring to seal the shift motor broke and won't be in until next week.

I looked at the operation of the shift fork and it couldn't go any more than what I could move it. I mean that there was no more space for the gear to move. Is it possible that the washer gasket was replaced with the wrong piece that was too thick? Can anyone confirm what type of gasket goes on that switch?

BTW, is there any oil that goes in the reverse gear? There's nothing about it in the manual.

I will make a wright up for this for reverse testing and how to the add reverse system. I have tested this for people who want to add it so I could sell my system. It will be full testing of all components and about 10 pics.

Back