• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

rear upper iddler wheel...any options?

Groomer08

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
so i just brought home a 08 phzr rtx.
the rear upper iddlers are horribly flat spotted. im guessing this is from leaving outside and not chipping the ice and it locked the wheels.
yami factory replacements are $50 each. im not really a fan of the straight plastic and would like to put something with a rubber edge up there. however it seems the torsion spring mount is the axle for these?
part #s dont cross over to nytro upper wheels.(nytro uses a bolt to mount)

Any of you swap these out for something different?

The differance is the Nytro idler is mounted on the outside of the torsion spring with a bearing retainer. The Phazer idler is on the inside of the spring. Both are a piece of cake to get to and (except trying to reload the spring)both have rubber edges.

There are plenty of aftermarket idlers you could mount there. As long as you have the right size diameter wheels and bearing, it's an easy, and cheap replacement.

aha, so there must be a step down on the shaft? looked like a HUGE id on the bearing if it rode on the same piece as the torsion spring.
maybe the puzzle will be self explanatory once i dissasemble it.
and unless yami changed it...stock def doesnt have a rubber. mine is budget plastic with a plastic edge...no rubber wear edge or anything.

My 2009 RTX upper wheels do not have rubber.

The I.D is rather large. the bearing is a 6006RS.

It should all make sense once you take it out and have a good look. The flat spot probably happened by the bearings having frozen up.

I did notice the new Phazers all have white colored upper idler wheels.Older ones are all black.They might be more durable.I agree bearings and making sure to pick up sled and slam it down a few times if left to freeze outside before moving sled is a very good practice.

cannondale27 said:
making sure to pick up sled and slam it down a few times if left to freeze outside before moving sled is a very good practice.

My sleds don't sit outside but still do the "pick up & drop".

Good call ;)!

ya, i always do the same if its left outside and while warming up im actually dedicated enough to check every wheel for freewheeling if the skid is packed with snow. doesnt take much behind a bogey to lock it up.
(gotta do something while the 2smoke boys yank that pullcord)

phazers dont build that much ice in the tunnel, but i still smack it on the ground a few times, i wear a backpack when i ride (safety kit, shovel, and a small rubber hammer) i always use my rubber hammer to knock ice out of the front heat exchanger. i find my phazer always makes a ice dam infront of the rad when doing powder riding. 2010 vectors have way worse ice issues, mostly around the back idlers on the axle. its always nice to grab the wheels and spin em before you leave.

You asked about the dimension in another thread, here they are

O.D. of the wheel: 7"
O.D. of the bearing 55mm
I.D of the bearing is 30mm

dam. thats 1.18" nobody offers a aftermarket wheel to fit that.
just hit up shadetree and slydog...and slydog doesnt do what i want...i want rubber up there to force it to turn.

Back