• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

09 XTX help

mcfly

Hey guys. I bought an 09 XTX new and have been manhandling it for two years but am now tired of getting beat to chit on the rides. I would like to see if you guys can give me some input on a few questions:

1. I do not have much experience with tuning suspensions. Motors I can wrench on all day but never had to really get into this much tweaking before. So correct me if I am wrong but compression adjustments are done with the spring, and rebound and dampening are done with the clickers...right?

2. Most of my settings are stock. I just installed an new bushing ski from Ulmers and a set of Curve XS skis with the leading edge. I would like to try and get the maximum amount of weight transfer while minimizing the effect on handling (I come from motorcross). I know if change one the other is effected but has anyone found a happy medium. I would like to be able to shoot out of the hole and occasionally pull the skis in the air. I do have 114 Woodys up the middle to help with traction but Im stil breaking loose.

3. Last but not least this rear sag is killing me. Even without me on it I cant get the rear to come back up. Will the torsion spring spacers work or should I look at a different set of springs. I was also looking at the adjustable blocks. Do they work for this?

Sorry for the long winded stuff but everyone told me to come here and ask. Thanks in advance for the help.....and yes, I have been using the search function here for the past two days!!!!

SJ did a really good thread regarding XTX suspension settings, I believe it's in the FAQ at the top of the page, I'd start there.

I read through his thread last night. Quite the amount of detail. I printed out his settings and figured out using them as a baseline.

I was just looking around and may invest in the X-click's and Spring spacers. See if that might help my cause.

If you do the 2011 XTX idler / coil spring Slide Holder update you'll get stiffer spring rate.
And it's worth noting that Yamaha went with a slightly stiffer coil spring for 2011 as well.

As far as the xtx rear suspension, there is to much friction points and torsion spring spacers helps a little. I got Star Suspension's XTX kit installed last week and and the sag is all gone on soft setting.
Here's the link http://www.starsuspensions.com/XTX.htm

Here's some pics...

Attachments

• SSPX0006.jpg
    SSPX0006.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 230
  • SSPX0007.jpg
    SSPX0007.jpg
    606.5 KB · Views: 258
I just checked out that link...they have something I'm very interested in..the 128" kit for the RTX, however my french is nonexistant...it looks very interesting as the apporach angle is not so aggressive.

shaddow44 said:
I just checked out that link...they have something I'm very interested in..the 128" kit for the RTX, however my french is nonexistant...it looks very interesting as the apporach angle is not so aggressive.

This 128" kit is essentually the same idea as the skinz concept front end. It lengthens the wheel base (changing the fulcrum) and stabilizes the weight sensative mannerisms of the nytro. Hopefully Yamaha does this for 2013.

Just ordered a set of X-click from Hiperf.com and got a set of spring spacers from Hygear. Try this first then we'll see what happens....

Any other info on questions 1 or 2??

shaddow44 said:

I couldn't get the link for the FX Nytro to work, but here's a quick translation of what they have to say about the XTX kit.

The rear suspension of the Apex and XTX suffers from poor progression and lots of friction. The suspension is abrupt in stutter bumps, and bottoms easily. In addition, the suspension stays collapsed, which means a loss of precious travel.
The kit reduces friction, and makes the suspension more progressive. The sled sits higher, in the range of travel the most supple, giving more comfort, and increasing bottoming resistance.
In addition, the sled has better weight transfer under acceleration without affecting handling in the curves.

Sounds good, especially for trail riders.

NFLD-Nytro said:
shaddow44 said:

I couldn't get the link for the FX Nytro to work, but here's a quick translation of what they have to say about the XTX kit.

The rear suspension of the Apex and XTX suffers from poor progression and lots of friction. The suspension is abrupt in stutter bumps, and bottoms easily. In addition, the suspension stays collapsed, which means a loss of precious travel.
The kit reduces friction, and makes the suspension more progressive. The sled sits higher, in the range of travel the most supple, giving more comfort, and increasing bottoming resistance.
In addition, the sled has better weight transfer under acceleration without affecting handling in the curves.

Sounds good, especially for trail riders.

I just got thru reading this in google translator also and sent them an email trying to find out more because I couldnt get the instalation instructions to work. I wasnt thinking for trail riders either but more for people that go off trail and need better weight transfer for carving/side hilling and tree riding, going thru unexpected terrain. and dealing with frozen skid issues. its defenetly something to look more into.

I can say that I have torsion spring spacers and they made no changes to my rear skid. I was hoping it would remove the sag in the rear, but it looks like it did nothing to help.

I have also done the 2011 update with the different torsion spring mounts (mach9 has mentioned it too, I also have a 2009 xtx), and with both these done, I still have about 4-5" of sag.

As far as the spring rate changing by doing the 2011 update, that is incorrect. You are not changing the spring rate with this update, you are just adding a little more preload to the existing spring since the 2011 update has the springs a little higher off the rails. Like mach9 did mention though, the 2011 and newer sleds are coming with different springs with a higher (1500 vs 1100) spring rate. I can bet if you put the new springs in the sled the sag will be gone!

Beenba said:
I can say that I have torsion spring spacers and they made no changes to my rear skid. I was hoping it would remove the sag in the rear, but it looks like it did nothing to help.

I'll bet that those spacers at least help keep the coil spring in a better position (flatter on the shaft) so it's got to be doing something for efficiency.

Absolutely they do. Without the spacers the 1st coil of the torsion spring is able to compress (its ID keeps shrinking) and the 2nd and 3rd coils barely twist.

With the spacers, the 1st coil will compress like it is supposed to, and now the 2nd, 3rd 4th and so on coils are actually being used. So ya I guess the spring rate may change very slightly with the spacers (ie. the spring will work like Yamaha has designed it, and not be some in-efficent piece of junk sliding around all twisted and cockeyed on the shaft..haha ) ;)!

Back