• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hurley, Mercer WI trail conditions?

sledneck22

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Anyone live near or been through hurley lately to know if the trails are ridable? Looking at a day trip on Jan 2nd to the area and want to know if it is worth it? I don't want to go ride on ice sheets.
Thanks,

Here's a post I recently made in anothe thread asking about trail conditions in the Hurley area:

My brother and I drove up to Mercer from Wausau last Friday (12/23). Mercer looked really bad. So we continued to drive up to Hurley. They didn't look any better. In fact, we didn't even unload the sleds. We turned around and came home. But maybe they have gotten snow in the past couple days. If they have, it has probably only been an inch or two. Not enough to make a difference.

The thing that irritates me the most is whoever the person is writing the trail reports up there ought to have his head examined. They are reporting trail conditions as "FAIR" ... which is not anywhere near the truth. I would give them a rating as "on the verge of being closed due to low snow." I think they are giving those reports to get tourist to drive up there. But it's more upsetting to drive all the way up there in hopes of seeing what they say, and then see junk. All I know is they didn't get one single dollar of my tourist money, and now they have an upset tourist.

Sorry for the rant ... by my advice would be to either keep going north to the Twin Lakes area in MI, or save your money, stay home and pray for snow.

Yeah that sucks... Looks like a little snow up until Sunday, Maybe there will be enough to go but apparently they are not running groomers until a sufficiant amount of snow falls... Probably going to be choppy, crappy trails if they are even still open. If anyone hears or see differently please post.

Look in General Yamaha discussion a guy posted that is up there riding right now. Said the trails are rideable but im sure its low snow conditions.

Whats funny is right after I posted that I got a call from my uncle. He said we are still going up there Monday. Trails are ridable with 5" of snow in the last 2 days. Forcast says 4-8 more inches by New years day. Hopefully we can get a decent ride in!

Trail Conditions

So I ended up making a day trip to the Park Falls Butternut area yesterday. We rode 80N out of park falls to Butternut, Then 12W into Iron County, ate at the Midway Tavern. Gased at Donner's Bar. Rode the lake past the dam then hung a Right and headed south back into Price County. Then took 111 back into Park Falls. We missed like 2 turns and ran the entire length of the Turtle Flambeu and ended up with about 95 miles. Trail conditions were so-so. Really good in Price County, Crap in Ashland basically because they were just getting out to brush trails and we had to go through a swap that wasn't froze. Iron County trails weren't bad but not yet groomed. There was a at least 6"-12" of snow everywhere we went.
If anyone is from Park Falls...The trails through town are horrible to Navigate without knowing the city. We had to ask like 6 different people how to get to the industrial park parking lot where we parked. It probably had to do a lot with not knowing the city but man it was annoying being lost in the city haha.
If they get high traffic I can see the trails turning to crap really fast. We broke trail on about 50-75% of the ride.
But hey! We got to ride so it was a good day!

Attachments

• basic700 Nytro.JPG
    basic700 Nytro.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 292
  • My Apex.JPG
    My Apex.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 301
  • Trail 80 Between Park Falls and Butternut.JPG
    Trail 80 Between Park Falls and Butternut.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 277
You lucky SOBS!! Glad to see you got out and rode, and I got lost in park falls last year too. There are zero signs that tell you were to go other then to the gas station and that's a dead end. I would have to say price county has some of the best trails up there and for some reason nobody really rides them. They all want to pound the crap out of iron county :moon:

SSSHHHHHHH!!!! Quit spreadin' that around! We trailer from Tomahawk to the SE Price county line, unload and RIDE!! We ride Lincoln cty the 1st mi. or so and it's like going from Illinois to Wisconsin. Bumpbumpbumpbump....SMOOOOOOTH!! Head to Phillips for lunch downtown and then NE to Chequamegon Forest. 1 of the Northwoods hidden gems ;)!

Yamahajrp said:
how are the trails from hurley to the east into the UP looking?

I hoping someone can chime in about the trails from hurley to the east into the UP. I'm thinking I may only get one ride in this year with the poor conditions.

Well, I really hope you find some snow and have a great time.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks

Back