• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Phazer Exhaust Gasket Change

yamahas

Staff member
Tech Advisor
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2009 Phazer RTX
Here is a step by step on how I inspect/change the exhaust gaskets on my Phazer.

1. First step is to take off the seat. There is one bolt on each side of the seat on the bottom. Stand beside the seat and pull it towards the back.

2. Remove the headlight cover.

3. Remove the upper side panels. There are 3 bolts that hold each piece. Two on the outside one that goes through the upper gas tank cover, beside the headlight.

Uppersidepanels.jpg

4. Remove the upper gas tank panel. There are 2 bolts that where under the seat and 2 behind the headlight. Some find it easier to remove the headlight; I do it most of the time it is just not removed in this picture. Also you will need to remove the gas cap and lift the rubber thing under there.

Uppergastankcover.jpg

5. Next thing to do is remove the side covers, these only have one bolt on each side and have 2 rubber elastics that hold then against the gas tank.

Sidetankcovers.jpg

6. Remove the 2 nuts at the base of the gas tank, the fuel pump power supply, fuel line.

Gastanknutsandpump.jpg

7. Remove the vent, return line, and unplug the fuel level sender.

GasTankconnections.jpg

8. You can now set the gas tank aside, remove the metal plate. It is just sitting there and is not secured in any way.

9. Remove the 3 bolts securing the upper exhaust cover.

Exhaustcover.jpg

10. Remove the 2 bolts at the front and 2 nuts at the back of the exhaust and seat frame. Also unplug the brake/tail light on the right hand side. It is cable tied to the black frame just above the reverse servo.

Exhaustandseatframe.jpg

11. Remove the clamps that are on the exhaust.

12. You can now lift and slide back the exhaust and seat frame to get to the gaskets and change them.

If anyone has anything to add or has a question please let me know!

No problem,

I just wanted to add that some different years/models will have different ways of mounting plastics but it the process should be the same or similar.

Step 12 concerns me a bit if the exhaust has to be moved back since I have an extension on my muffler and it is kinda fixed in place. Don't know if there will be enough flex there for me to move it - or am I missing something?
And of course, thanks for the write-up.

I am not sure how the VL is set up, maybe someone can chime in on that. Or is it a madification you did?

It looks like you put in a flex pipe? It only really needs to move back a few inches to slip the gasket in, I would think you should be ok. Is the exhaust attached to the seat or the tunnel?

Looking over your thread some more it looks like it is directly in the tunnel. You don't need a lot of room so you might be ok depending on how much give is in your set up.

yamahas said:
It looks like you put in a flex pipe? It only really needs to move back a few inches to slip the gasket in, I would think you should be ok. Is the exhaust attached to the seat or the tunnel?
It's attached to the tunnel. Yeah it is kind of a flex pipe but not much - it's difficult to say if there is enough movement until I really get at it.

The VL is set up a bit different as you cannot remove the seat bracket as on the Phazer. You have to remove the big bolt holding the Y-pipe to the shield under the seat and also the four small bolts holding the muffler brackets to the frame. Then the exhaust can be moved back easily as described above. Unless you have an extension on the exhaust (LOL) then that would have to be loosened as well.

Nice write up, thank you.

Need to get mine inspected soon, I'm getting a good pop on decelleration after 3/4-full throttle bursts. Any way to check without tearing it all down? Seems I remember reading apex owners knew the donuts were shot if the sled ran with a rag stuffed in the exhaust. Also, does anyone have the part numbers for the gaskets, or is it just as good to seal them up with high temp exhaust gasket silicone ( the goop that comes in a toothpaste type of tube?)

Great write up!! Thanks.
Saw smoke coming from under the hood after a cold start so I have to inspect mine. Lot's of KM's so i'm sure there in need of some attension.

Back