• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XTX REAR SKID SHOCK BLACK AND BLUES

flipside

Advice please!!

My #*$&@ is black and blue that is!!! Love this machine, but very disappointed in the ride. I've done a ton of research and two tons of adjusting. sj's sticky got my front end railing corners, no push, no darting, takes stutters and big hits good. But I can NOT get a happy medium with the skid shocks. I either get the teeth knocked out of my head in the stutters if I don't wanna bottom out on the big ones. Or take the stutters and trail trash better(which still isn't all that great by the way, maybe only knock out one tooth or so) and pray you don't come across a random big one cause it's rib breakin time!

My buddies ride Doo Renegades and those things are friggin limos compared to my XTX. Bumps under 8inches just disappear under them. You have to hit stuff over a foot and half tall before you feel it in your butt enough to have to stand up! I really don't wanna defect to a Doo. But there has GOT to be something better for these XTX's. I have 2500 miles on it. I want to get the shocks revalved and see how it rides then.

MY QUESTION TO YOU ALL IS...Which place do you guys recommend to have shocks revalved for mainly rough trail and ditch banging conditions. I'm looking for smoother ride in the stutters and still not bottoming out on the whooped up days.

Thanks for your help guys!!! ;)!

I am at the exact spot you are. This was my first year with my 2010 nytro xtx, sounds like we've arrived at the same point with the suspension. Looking at my sled next to my buddies' Rev XPs, my rear suspension was halfway through it's travel just sitting there with no weight on it. I found Star Suspension out of Quebec, they seem to have a solution for the re-valving and the rear skid height. I haven't done it yet, but it's first on my list! (then yamaha tuner skis).

I've felt your pain!

I revalved my shocks and did the Star suspension kit both at the same time mid winter this year. I now have almost 3000 km on it is awesome. I highly recommend to do both.
Robert at Star Suspension will sell you the kit and can revalved your shocks. I had already arrange to get my shocks with 2 stage valving at SkockTec in Drayton Ontario.
Do this along with split rail skis and the Nytro will take any trail you encounter.

Its funny because I was gonna start the exact same thread because I deal with the same thing. It rides a little jarring in the studders on the bottoms of my feet when standing and I also get that back breaker/kidney killer on a wash out. I was gonna take it a notch higher and ask everyone with a xtx to post their rear suspension settings so we can compare. I had my my shocks revalved but I still deal with the same issues you report. This season I had planned on going to the stiffest settings on everything and then working my way down from there to find the sweet spot but we haven't had any damn snow this year.

Here is my 'rear' suspension set up:

I am 230lbs

-Front/Rear Shock...1.5" of thread showing
-Rear Shock...Compression set at 3 clicks out from full soft.
-Torsion Springs set at Medium
-Tranfer is set at 3/4 max
-Limiter Straps at stock setting

How is everyone else set-up? Please post your settings...

ended up at the same point in the rear skid. after 6kmi. have got the rear springs on medium, which sits way down on its own. occasionally try high again, but find it harsh. I dont believe revalving will do much, have alot more interest in that star kit. was waiting on feed back

I am 300lbs, and I'm still playing with settings.

-Front/Rear Shock...1.75 of thread showing
-Rear Shock...Compression set at 5 clicks out from full soft.
-Torsion Springs set at hard
-Transfer is set at 3/4 max
-Limiter Straps at stock setting

Star Suspensions also have some pretty cool adjusters for the torsion springs with 5 settings. Be better for me cause of my weight.

Valving is not going to cure your problem, it will help but the skid overall will never perform the way ski doo SC-5 supsension does in the stutters and medium sized bumps. XTX skid has simply too much friction built into it and the only way to remedy the problem is Star suspension upgrade. Otherwise, grease the rear pivot arm transfer slides before every ride. This is where majority of your discomort is generated.

BADSLED said:
Valving is not going to cure your problem, it will help but the skid overall will never perform the way ski doo SC-5 supsension does in the stutters and medium sized bumps. XTX skid has simply too much friction built into it and the only way to remedy the problem is Star suspension upgrade. Otherwise, grease the rear pivot arm transfer slides before every ride. This is where majority of your discomort is generated.
I agree, 100%. do you have it? with this season ending, was hoping to get true feedback and purchase this summer, or maybe clip/modify the lower parts out of an xtra 10 or something

MCApex44. I will have to get home and I will measure where I'm at on that center shock.

I have been greasing the skid every other ride. I heard they are bound up. I was hoping a revalve per my weight, style, and conditions would help. But you guys think that isn't enough and the Star kit is a must to? Geez, I'm getting sick of putting money into this thing just to get it to ride like other sleds do stock! But I don't wanna take my skid out to do the shocks alone, just find out it's not enough first ride next year. Then take it back out again in the middle of next season to do the Star upgrade!

Where any of these issues addressed on the 10s 11s or 12s? Do they ride any better?

I will definetly leave the shocks alone until it rear arm kit is done and start playing with the clickers to have any idea of what I would be looking to gain. Have no doubt it would be entirely different with stock shocks left alone. I've never thought the shocks were the problem, its the way the spring acts with the transfer desighned into the arm the way it is. really hard to doubt a good old fashioned pivot, like most sleds on the planet. with adjustable tranfer bumpers like extra 10 and 12 etc.

I have my settings recorded and as soon as I can get to my computer I will post my settings.

That's funny, I've never really thought there was an issue with the suspension of the Nytro, other than when trying to to go through the big bumps a little too aggressively.

I am not saying it sucks. I run this thing hard and have gotten to be very familiar with it. I can tell the torsion springs dont work right and the arm has got to be the key. set on high its too harsh. set on med rides better, but setting half way down brings me close to bottom when riding over crap

Back