• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper VS Vector

srvfan

Expert
Ok so here's the big question Vector LTX leftover power steering, and supposedly super smooth Mono shock for say 8900

VS

New Yammicat for say $12500 in a lighter chassis, how much lighter? Does it ride as smooth as a mono shock on New England stutter bumps ?

Is it all that to be worth around $3500 more?

I have ridden the Apex 08, Apex XTX 11, Vector 09, Vector 10 and nothing is a better sled than the 2013 Vector LTX on the trail. It is smooth and the steering effort is nothing.

Powerband is smooth and still quick, if you don't need the fastest sled it is the top trail riding sled Yamaha offers.

Banks93 said:
I have ridden the Apex 08, Apex XTX 11, Vector 09, Vector 10 and nothing is a better sled than the 2013 Vector LTX on the trail. It is smooth and the steering effort is nothing.

Powerband is smooth and still quick, if you don't need the fastest sled it is the top trail riding sled Yamaha offers.

You haven't ridden the one that REALLY matters. The SR Viper. Until you have, your above comments are pure speculation.

relbus said:
Banks93 said:

You haven't ridden the one that REALLY matters. The SR Viper. Until you have, your above comments are pure speculation.

No, I don't have to of ridden the VIPER to tell him that nothing will be lighter then the EPS Vector for steering and the best YAMAHA MADE sled for trails. I have ridden the 1100 Cat and he was debating if the Viper is worth $3,500 more then the Vector. No! Doesn't mean the Viper won't be a great sled. EPS is second to no sled for easy steering and the 136 Mono is great for stutter bumps.

Now if Cat puts a turbo on the motor then another story. Even CR says he is staying with his Apex SE EPS.

Is it worth the $3500 difference in buying a new Viper vs leftover Vector pricing? You would have to ride both and be your own judge. I don't like the first year of any sled.

I can understand why guys would be weary of reliability with the new Viper... but at least it's the 3rd year of the chassis. I have a feeling that it will go pretty well.

I would love to try both but ther is no dealer I know of in NE that allows a test ride on a sled which is frustrating, who would buy a car without a test ride?

I have sat on the newer vector and it is rider forward compared to my 05 . drumz feels that despite the Vevtor PS the Cat chassis is easier to ride which is interesting.

Does anybody know what it weighs compared to the vector?

Drumz, which one of your sleds rides better in typical groomed trail chatter?

I can tell you firm riding all of the viper models, the steering is very light and effortless. I can't comment on trail suspension performance, but from what I have felt thus far, I wouldn't make a decision until you ride both machines.

In the end it might boil down to your riding position preference.

Banks93 said:
relbus said:
Banks93 said:

No, I don't have to of ridden the VIPER to tell him that nothing will be lighter then the EPS Vector for steering and the best YAMAHA MADE sled for trails. I have ridden the 1100 Cat and he was debating if the Viper is worth $3,500 more then the Vector. No! Doesn't mean the Viper won't be a great sled. EPS is second to no sled for easy steering and the 136 Mono is great for stutter bumps.

Now if Cat puts a turbo on the motor then another story. Even CR says he is staying with his Apex SE EPS.

Now see based on the post right after yours , I'd say your mistaken. Vector and EPS may be awesome, but it's impossible to say its a better trail sled in the Yamaha line up. Especially when you haven't ridden a SR Viper yet.

srvfan said:
I would love to try both but ther is no dealer I know of in NE that allows a test ride on a sled which is frustrating, who would buy a car without a test ride?

I have sat on the newer vector and it is rider forward compared to my 05 . drumz feels that despite the Vevtor PS the Cat chassis is easier to ride which is interesting.

Does anybody know what it weighs compared to the vector?

Drumz, which one of your sleds rides better in typical groomed trail chatter?

The Vector feels great compared to some of my older sleds in the fleet, but once you try something newer, it quickly makes it feel very dated. The reason we went with the Vector, besides for reliability reasons and just plain liking Yamaha's was because she insisted that she felt more comfortable sitting lower after coming off an older Viper. She sat on newer sleds and thought it felt awkward sitting up higher. That feeling went away after about 10 minutes of actually riding one. I didn't want to say..."I told you so"....but I did. :rofl: I can't comment on power steering. We bought a leftover 2011 Vector. Steering effort with the tuner ski's isn't an issue after dialing in a good setup on the sled. It's more about seating position, handling and chassis balance so power steering doesn't change these things.

In the bumps I wouldn't say it's fair to compare with what we are riding. I have a sno-pro with aftermarket shocks and an uncoupled 141" skid so it's obviously stiffer. They are not known for the plush ride. The 141" LXR is softer and the guys with the LXR 129" coupled skids seem happy. The new Viper LTX with the 137" skid looks very interesting and a lot of Cat guys would like to see that skid end up in a Cat.

Good luck with what you purchase. I'm not trying to sway you one way or another, dish out an opinion based on brand loyalty or being pissed off at one company or another, I'm just trying to provide you with feedback regarding both chassis in our experience. I would say that 9 out of 10 will prefer the new Viper when it comes to the things I mentioned. Many that do prefer the new chassis will still stick with the apex/vector due to the known reliability and brand loyalty and/or a refusal to get on a chassis that Cat built or designed. LOL. I'm sure you would be happy with either. Just don't go try out the new chassis if you go with a Vector. LOL.

srvfan said:
Ok so here's the big question Vector LTX leftover power steering, and supposedly super smooth Mono shock for say 8900

VS

New Yammicat for say $12500 in a lighter chassis, how much lighter? Does it ride as smooth as a mono shock on New England stutter bumps ?

Is it all that to be worth around $3500 more?

It REALLY depends on your riding conditions and your "style". I'd hands down take the Vector, especially 3000$ cheaper, if I was strictly a high mileage "cruiser" type rider. TheProcross Viper is more of a "jack of all trades" sled that will do standup, throttle through, play in the powder type riding better yet still do fine at cruising. I've owned neither but I have spent some time on both chassis.

Now see based on the post right after yours , I'd say your mistaken. Vector and EPS may be awesome, but it's impossible to say its a better trail sled in the Yamaha line up. Especially when you haven't ridden a SR Viper yet.[/quote]

I have ridden all three brands drumz just said he didn't have the EPS Vector model. I have driven all three. 10 vector, 13 vector and 13 1100 cat I am going to get a Viper because I want the more HP and rider forward but the Vector is a great trail sled with the EPS and the $3,000 dollar discount on it is a really good price.

You really won't be disappointed either way you go the motor is so smooth and great power. Not Apex like but plenty on the trail power.

I personally think the new Viper is fine, however 10 years down the road I'd put a lot more faith in a Vector still running down the trail and the Viper sitting in a junk yard.

Back