• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2014 and beyond..

MrSled

Site Admin/CEO
Staff member
Website
www.totallyamaha.com
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2020 Sidewinder SRX
I wanted to post one more time a few things. I know I stated this in another thread but "I have driven all the Viper sleds. I was very optimistic... I didnt want to like it because of the Cat Qualities... I wanted to hate it... I am telling you this sled is SOOO much fun to drive."

As a die hard Yamaha fan I am sure you were like me.... a CAT ..WTF...lol, but over time and looking at it from a business side, I see what Yamaha was doing... causing some huge hype and making heads turn in the industry. This is a first in the industry, I am sure, having 2 snowmobile companies come together to build a very unique project. There is no one going out of business.... there is no one merging into the other... basically it is a trade agreement. This is actually pretty great if you really think about it. Yamaha needs to learn to bring snowmobiles to the consumer faster and basically meet the customers demands while Arctic Cat needs to learn from Yamaha about durability and fit & finish.... so they are learning and learning fast. The goods news is both snowmobile companies have a separate direction plan and only this one sled in common. After being in Minneapolis the last few days I have learned for us die hard Yamaha fans that there is going to be 1 new sled every year for the next 5 years from Yamaha with some new and outstanding technology with new chassis and motors... and yes they said motors :Rockon: So even though we are not all getting the sled we want let's not frown on the fact of what has happened. Let's encourage and look to the future of what is to come and look at this decision as a great thing for the snowmobile industry. So please get out to a demo and ride this sled.... it was extremely fun to drive and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

On a side note: A good friend of mine said " Here is my chance to drive some other brand chassis with out having to leave my brand" and that is a very good point ;)!

:jump: :jump:

Thanks Tom. Now, more on the vipers' please. I understand your time was limited and truely would take a couple thousand miles to have a true opinion. likes and dislikes? Tell me you weren't out granny riding. also any numbers, wieght and hp? Cheers, Scott

I eventually see Yamaha moving towards manufacturing all their sleds in the States eventually as the Apexes, Vectors, Phazers and Ventures are phased out. Either they will buy out Arctic Cat or build their own factory. This should control costs due to the Japanese yen being too high, however us Canadians are still getting screwed over...$2000 difference in MSRP. What excuse is Yamaha gonna give us this time?

Regarding the new Viper, I would love to try it. I'm sure it'll out handle a Nytro hands down...too bad the design and production came from Arctic Cat. How can Yamaha not figure out how to design their own sled?

After 2 years, Arctic Cat has updated the chassis several times over to apparently rectify issues, however they still can't fix the problems they are having with the driveline. Sure, the new Viper has Yammy clutches, but it looks like the same chaincase and reverse that Arctic Cat has not been able to fix, leaving many ProCross riders stranded on the trails and their sleds stuck at the Dealer for weeks at a time awaiting updated and nonexistent parts. Now how long would a Yammy rider with a broken reverse linkage have to wait? Arctic Cat can't satisfy these customers...imagine the wait for a Viper owner?

I sincerely hope that Yamaha can address this driveline issue, but I certainly wouldn't take that chance next year, would you?

For those that may be fortunate enough to test ride a Viper this spring, please take the time to try out the reverse several times over and over and see if problems arise.

scott32 said:
Thanks Tom. Now, more on the vipers' please. I understand your time was limited and truely would take a couple thousand miles to have a true opinion. likes and dislikes? Tell me you weren't out granny riding. also any numbers, wieght and hp? Cheers, Scott

Remember these sleds were still proto types. I was on them for an hour or more. They felt extremely light, did not need power steering... very light effort. They had very flat handling and I did not get any ski lift... but I was on a lake not in trail conditions. Some of the fit and finish will need to cleaned up but I was told that is being worked on. From cone to cone and in less then the length of a football field I was seeing close to 80 MPH.. not sure on speedo accuracy. They said the sleds goal is to be 20lbs lighter than a Nytro... it sure felt light.

The heated seat was nice...LOL. The hand warmers took a while to warm up so I hope that's not the Nytro grips as those suck when it gets in the single digits without a rock booster.

After riding I stood back and said it sure looks bad azz...

The gauge was interesting... not really sure how I will like that because it seemed tough to read when riding.

MrSled said:
scott32 said:

Remember these sleds were still proto types. I was on them for an hour or more. They felt extremely light, did not need power steering... very light effort. They had very flat handling and I did not get any ski lift... but I was on a lake not in trail conditions. Some of the fit and finish will need to cleaned up but I was told that is being worked on. From cone to cone and in less then the length of a football field I was seeing close to 80 MPH.. not sure on speedo accuracy. They said the sleds goal is to be 20lbs lighter than a Nytro... it sure felt light.

The heated seat was nice...LOL. The hand warmers took a while to warm up so I hope that's not the Nytro grips as those suck when it gets in the single digits without a rock booster.

After riding I stood back and said it sure looks bad azz...

The gauge was interesting... not really sure how I will like that because it seemed tough to read when riding.

Interesting. I was asked if I was thinking of an upgrade from my phazer this week end, I said I don't want to give up the feel (weight) of my phazer but would not mind another cylinder or 2.

This sled does look great..

Thanks for the review!

I guess this could be a good thing for the future for both companies. I think Yamaha has to start their own fabrication in North America. And I can't see the assembly of the snowmobiles going on at Arctic cat with the ATV factory here. I would think they would want that increas in production to go into their own facility. And I'm sure the people at the ATV factory would be pissed if they just gave that production over to artic cat.

With that in mind I do like the new viper, and it would be the sled for me if I had to buy in 2014.... But part of me feels that Yamahas commitment to the industry in the next 5 years might be better than this viper... And I have to wait to see if they come up with something wild first.

Interesting how all the hype is about one sled.
Doesn,t Yamaha think it,s time to transform the Apex yet into the next gen ?
Not every Yamaha owner wants to drive a 130 HP sled. How much longer before they get into the HP wars again ? Or do they really care about that area ? Guess I,ll keep riding my old 2007 Apex, for another year.

Grimm said:
I eventually see Yamaha moving towards manufacturing all their sleds in the States eventually as the Apexes, Vectors, Phazers and Ventures are phased out. Either they will buy out Arctic Cat or build their own factory. This should control costs due to the Japanese yen being too high, however us Canadians are still getting screwed over...$2000 difference in MSRP. What excuse is Yamaha gonna give us this time?

Regarding the new Viper, I would love to try it. I'm sure it'll out handle a Nytro hands down...too bad the design and production came from Arctic Cat. How can Yamaha not figure out how to design their own sled?

After 2 years, Arctic Cat has updated the chassis several times over to apparently rectify issues, however they still can't fix the problems they are having with the driveline. Sure, the new Viper has Yammy clutches, but it looks like the same chaincase and reverse that Arctic Cat has not been able to fix, leaving many ProCross riders stranded on the trails and their sleds stuck at the Dealer for weeks at a time awaiting updated and nonexistent parts. Now how long would a Yammy rider with a broken reverse linkage have to wait? Arctic Cat can't satisfy these customers...imagine the wait for a Viper owner?

I sincerely hope that Yamaha can address this driveline issue, but I certainly wouldn't take that chance next year, would you?

For those that may be fortunate enough to test ride a Viper this spring, please take the time to try out the reverse several times over and over and see if problems arise.

I agree with Grimm....i hope yamaha did something with the cat chaincase and driveline.....that's the best thing about yamaha....they always get you home...i have a buddy that's going on a month still waiting for parts from cat....

I think its great Tom... I think it was very smart of them to do this... Yamaha was obviously not building what people want and now they have. If it has 160-170 NA and under 500 lbs, I would be ordering one and selling my 1200. But, they have not offered the power I am looking for. I'm not into a Turbo... Hopefully my dealer will have a demo for me to try... So that would the bring the weight in at 489lbs? With the change in exhaust, does it have any more or less power...

Thanks for all you do Tom. Who would have thought years ago when you started this site that you would be jet-setting around for pre-release events and such! Good for you - you have earned it.

I'm excited to see Yamaha taking a risk and shaking things up. But God I hope next year is the new/replacement Apex. Looks like I'll be replacing my 2006 drive axle as a precaution for next season.

Thanks Tom, did you notice anything different in the engine bay that is different than the cat as far as engine mounting goes and if it is beefed up at all? Hearing the Cats have plenty of chassis flex and even with the bar between the sec and pri clutches they still have plenty of issues with belt life due to chassis flex. I don't see the bar on the Viper to hold the ctc distance. I'm sure belt life will be better with the Yamaha clutches but I think half the problem is in chassis flexing under high load conditions. What do you think?

Grimm said:

I feel that the answer is this...you can only design and re-engineer these suspensions so many times that eventually you are copying what has already been done....I think all manufacturers are basically at a road block on this.

I don't think Yamaha would put out a product if they didn't think it could pass muster. Lets not forget about the Y.E.S. warranty. It would cost them a bundle if the sleds kept breaking down.

Back