• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Starter relay part # ?

birkebeiner

Lifetime Member
Country
Norway
Snowmobile
2015 Yamaha SR Viper X-TX
Is this the correct part # for the starter relay for a 2009 Nytro XTX?

Relay Assy (8Fp-01)8FP-81950-01-00 (need 3)

Or is it this one?

Relay Assy (G8hn-1C4t-Dj-Y52)5DM-81950-00-00 (need 1)

Thanks a lot ;)!

On a second thought, which relay is it that creates issues, fuel or the starter one? Need to make sure I'm not mixing up now and ordering the wrong one :)

And if the fuel one, should I order the "upgraded" 2011-2012 relay with the adapter instead of the 2009?

The starter relay has been more of a problem but they all have caused us Nytro owners issues. Some carry a spare relay that's interchangeable between fuel, load and fan. The headlight relay is for high/low beam selection so it won't leave you stranded. The updated relay is suppose to be better but it to can fail. The starter relay tends to develop corrosion around the posts and plug so make sure you clean and treat them with an anti-corrosion grease. The starter relay has to ways it can fail. When you start the sled the contacts in the relay can fuse together and continue to power the starter without you knowing which will destroy the starter or moisture inside the relay will corrode the contacts and the engine won't start. A LED indicator can be put across the relay to help protect the starter and if the engine won't start you can jump across the relay to start it.

Replacing the starter relay periodically may not be a bad idea. I installed a rubber boot over mine several years ago and so far the 2008 original relay hasn't failed yet.

Both relays have caused some issues. If you have a sled that works normally when the temperature is above zero but cranks over and doesn't start when it is bitterly cold out (usually below zero) and you don't hear the fuel pump running when cycling the key - it most likely has a frozen/sticking fuel pump relay causing a lack of fuel pressure not allowing the sled to start. New for 2014 is a new solid state relay (old relays were mechanical - moving parts) - the new solid state relay has no internal moving parts so sticking when cold shouldn't be a problem. The part number on this new relay is 8GN-81950-00-00 and it can be identified by its red casing. The new relay has the holder part built into it and for people wondering which relay of the ones on their sled is the actual fuel pump relay the easiest way to identify it on the sled is to look at the wiring going to the relay as from the factory the consistency to how they mount them on the relay holder varies from year to year and sled to sled (this also confuses people looking at the microfiche as the order on the sleds relay holder has never been consistent). The easiest way to locate it is that the fuel pump relay has 3 red wires and one blue wire going to it. We now have the new 2014 red relays in stock if anyone needs them and plan on bringing some to the snow shows this fall.

The starter relay issue on the other hand can happen at any temperature and when it is the issue the sled will usually not crank over - however we have also seen some corrosion issues on the starter relay/connector that cause power not to ever get to the fuel pump relay as well. The fuel pump relay is fed power off one of the small 10 amp fuses on top of the starter relay. When this happens it seems much like a frozen fuel pump relay as the sled will crank but not start and the fuel pump doesn't run. On the FX Nytro models the starter relay is located directly under the right side panel vent and what happens is snow/rain drops down through the vent and enters the top side of the relay wiring connector and over time causes corrosion to the connector terminals and moisture enters the relay corroding it as well. This is mainly a problem on 08-10 models as the wiring connector on the relay was an open style allowing the moisture intrusion. The 2011 and newer FX Nytro models use a sealed connector/relay which has solved the corrosion issue. The 2011 and newer style connector/relay are not retrofittable to the 08-10 models as the connector is not sold separately. The best way to fix an 08-10 model is to clean up the connector terminals and use a new 08-10 style relay and then pack the terminals full of dielectric grease to help prevent the moisture intrusion. On 08-10 FX Nytros I have also seen people relocate the relay and or make shields over the top of it to help prevent the moisture from coming in the top side of the connector - also not leaving the sled outside without a cover on will help prevent snow from getting on the relay when the sled is not in use.

Attachments

• Red Fuel Pump Relay 2.JPG
    Red Fuel Pump Relay 2.JPG
    350.1 KB · Views: 2,693
Thanks Port

I had the fuel pump issue at the end of last winter, the start cranked but the fuel pump did not provide any fuel. This happened every morning after the sled been outside overnight in -30C.

Do you have the new solid state relay available through your web site/web shop? Do I need any adapters or anything else to use it on a 2009 XTX?

birkebeiner said:
Do you have the new solid state relay available through your web site/web shop? Do I need any adapters or anything else to use it on a 2009 XTX?

You should be able to enter the part number 8GN-81950-00-00 on the following link in the area it says "Reverse Part Number Lookup" and then hit "go" and it will pull up the part with current retail and our price. As far as needing adapters or anything - nothing else is needed - the holder which was used on previous models is built right into the new relay so it is a direct plug in and will replace the relay and the relay holder.

http://www.portyamaha.com/fiche_select.asp

Thanks grizztracks for adding the info to the Nytro FAQ page ;)!

Port, you better have a truck load of relays at the snow shows once people find out your selling them

These relays are in an awkward position and very hard to get at ...is there an easy way to take these out and grease them ....I have the 2010 Nytro XTX

garyr said:
These relays are in an awkward position and very hard to get at ...is there an easy way to take these out and grease them ....I have the 2010 Nytro XTX

garyr - the only relay referred to in this post on your Nytro that needs to have dielectric grease applied to the connector is the starter relay which is located under the main right side body panel just in front of the battery.

LM7800 - I'd love to sell a truckload of them! Lets get the word out! :Rockon:

LM7800 - I'd love to sell a truckload of them! Lets get the word out! :Rockon:[/quote]
i'll start the truck load with the first two i'll get from your web site. Why are they red?

The starter relay and the ignition switch connectors should be checked for corrosion, cleaned and coated with an anti corrosion grease. The fan/fuel/load/headlight relays don't tend to have as much of a corrosion problem but it's a good idea to periodically check them and apply grease.

Starter relay connections (check 4-wire connector between fuses)

Starterrelay.jpg

Ignition switch connector
starterdiagnostics.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Back