• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper Track

BTbt

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder LTX LE
I was checking Woody's stud application for the Viper ltx and they show a two ply track, but Yamaha and Cat both list the Ripsaw II single ply track.Has anyone seen a production 137 track sled yet, as I am planning to buy studs next week.

I've been running into the same problem. Safest bet is up wait until we see a production sled. One guy says this while another says that. I'm pretty sure they will be single ply but my luck Ill buy studs for a single ply they will end up a two ply.

I don't run single ply studs in single ply Doo track. Not even on the turbo sleds. Many on the Doos do not run single ply big heavy stuff and have no problem at all. 2.86" pitch single ply tracks.

The big heads do not roll well inside the track and rob lots of track HP, HP loss is even worse on 2.52" pitch using big single ply studs.

I use double backers though that are less prone to pullouts. I do not use the "large" double backers for single ply tracks either. Just old two ply Megabites and old double backers. Cudney ran a test on large single ply vs old two ply stud and backers and the difference in lbs that it takes to pull thru the large head vs. smaller head two ply was minimal at best, virtually nothing. When Doo came out with the single ply track they tried to corner the market on "special" single ply studs and charge big pricing on them, also warning of pullouts if using the old two ply stuff. Now that time has passed and guys have been running two ply studs in single ply tracks we know better. They were just marketing ploys to get you to purchase the more expensive single ply heavy stuff. My friends and I even stud the outside bands with two ply stuff on a single ply 2.86" pitch tracks. None of us has ever had problems with pullouts.

The guys that studs and spins his track over every surface on earth, is going to have pullout problems using either one, so it really does not matter, the single ply stuff is not going to save him. He will have pullouts no matter what he uses!

I was thinking the same thing about using the 2 ply studs, running doubles should be even safer

KnappAttack said:
I don't run single ply studs in single ply Doo track. Not even on the turbo sleds. Many on the Doos do not run single ply big heavy stuff and have no problem at all. 2.86" pitch single ply tracks.

The big heads do not roll well inside the track and rob lots of track HP, HP loss is even worse on 2.52" pitch using big single ply studs.

I use double backers though that are less prone to pullouts. I do not use the "large" double backers for single ply tracks either. Just old two ply Megabites and old double backers. Cudney ran a test on large single ply vs old two ply stud and backers and the difference in lbs that it takes to pull thru the large head vs. smaller head two ply was minimal at best, virtually nothing. When Doo came out with the single ply track they tried to corner the market on "special" single ply studs and charge big pricing on them, also warning of pullouts if using the old two ply stuff. Now that time has passed and guys have been running two ply studs in single ply tracks we know better. They were just marketing ploys to get you to purchase the more expensive single ply heavy stuff. My friends and I even stud the outside bands with two ply stuff on a single ply 2.86" pitch tracks. None of us has ever had problems with pullouts.

The guys that studs and spins his track over every surface on earth, is going to have pullout problems using either one, so it really does not matter, the single ply stuff is not going to save him. He will have pullouts no matter what he uses!

This is very well said. Not sure why but I have not felt the need for studs lately. Maybe better tracks? I am thankful after replacing SRX track 3 times in 6000mi over fear of track failure from pullouts. Of course if you are racing you NEED studs. If not I would seriously consider a Ice Attack or Ice Ripper. They seem to be holding up real well now.

Yes that Cobra would be a good one. Sure hope I like the Ripsaw 2. If not that would be my choice since I really liked the Freeride 1.5 on Phazer.

KnappAttack said:

Thanks for the great info ;)!

Definately great info! Glad I read this as I was worried about what Im going to do with mine stud wise when I get it

Back