• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Information is sparse on studding protection

daboog

Hello all,

This new guy is looking for some detailed info regarding studding my 2013 MP

After exhaustive searching, I have not really been able to answer some questions that I feel are important. My biggest concern is protection for the muffler area and I guess other "under tunnel" areas/parts. My only requirement for studding is for climbing icey slopes, and the rare occasion where on glare ice lakes, my track cannot over come the friction of my skis from a stop. My questions are:

1. Can a stock MP be studded without any protection (can a drastic compression of the rear suspension destroy the muffler/under tunnel exhaust)?

2. Have any of you studded your MP or Lite and had issues without any protection

3. Do any of you have any pics of custom protectors that you have made?

4. is there a manufacturer and size, model that will work best for the stock track

5. The dealer will be installing the studs, so the number of studs and where they are located - to avoid contacting any idler wheels, will kinda be up to them (I have heard that 96 studs in a flying V pattern are what some of you run).

Once again, I am only looking to increase utility of this sled for "icey" parts of my travels. In the first season I was unable to follow my riding mates on numerous occasions up icey slopes who were riding studded machines (1989 and 1990 Phazers, 1997 Skandic 380). I really need studs!!

I should mention, I basically only use snowmobile to access ice fishing spots, not really a trail rider/cruiser

Thanks for any help that your collective expertise can provide!

Sorry this took a few days. Just saw your post now.

Personally, I'm not a fan of studs but in some situations, they are needed, like yours. There is no way to add tunnel protectors because of the muffler. With that said, there is one member here that has installed a track with 2 inch paddles on an MP and there is no contact with anything or any other issues so I would think that there would be no issues with a stud that's just above the stock 1.25" paddle Ripsaw. I have no idea as to how much higher than the paddles the studs would need to be but it shouldn't be too much higher.

Thanks!

The example you used of 2" paddle not contacting the exhaust is reassuring. My dealer is studding the track this week, he doesn't think there should be any issues either. When we get enough snow and solid frozen lakes here, I will post my impressions/experiences.

Thanks again for the post.

Studing 96 just the center

I had to tighten up the track and put a muffler guard on . Took a few kmph off the top end .

Attachments

• IMG00017.jpg
    IMG00017.jpg
    712.3 KB · Views: 402
Was that muffler guard homemade or was it something available from somewhere? Could you get a few more pics of it?

Went with 96 studs in a V pattern 1/8" taller than the stock track paddles.

So far I have ridden ~40km of trail with some bushwhacking solo, and ~40km with a passenger (myself at 200lb and wife a 120lb, when ridding 2up I had the rear suspension spring in the firmest setting, when solo the softest) and I have yet to see any scraping on my muffler. The studs are a huge benefit for the conditions I ride in and make hill climbing a breeze even with a >100lb load in tow.

I would be interested in seeing a close up pic of your muffler guard though. Is it homemade?

How much tighter than stock spec is your track adjusted? My dealer did mention to ensure that the track didn't get too loose for obvious reasons.

Muffler guard Yes its home made

I get all my metal from the recyclers cheap by the pound I will try and get more pictures I play with the track tension loosen off till it hits then tighten up a turn

Here are the pic's held on by a couple of big hose clamps around muffler . Taking off this next year to put the second tunnel exhaust mod.

Attachments

• IMG-20140309-00035.jpg
    IMG-20140309-00035.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG-20140309-00035.jpg
    IMG-20140309-00035.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 358
Hi all. I've been trying to determine whether to stud my track and came upon this thread. Thought I'd join so I could obtain some further information from the group. My needs are much the same as "daboog". I often ride double and carry gear for a day out trouting. Ice on the trails can be a problem here. So can climbing the bank in my back yard as my driveway under the carport where I keep my machine tends to build up a lot of ice. I was looking at various stud styles and length. Given my track is original I thought 1.325 length would be sufficient and should give me the clearance I need without any other modifications. Is my track 2 ply or a single ply? I've asked that question and can't seem to confirm one way or the other?
My dealer's service manager tells me he does not recommend I stud my track for fear of damage to the muffler. I find the suspension to be more than adequate for any of the riding I do and do not bottom out so looking for some input from you folks.

This machine is new to me this year. I bought it with 1430 km on it.

Reading the above posts, studding the stock track shouldn't be a problem with the muffler as there is quite a bit of space between them. 2" paddles aren't a problem so a studded 1.25" + 0.10" shouldn't be a problem at all. I'd keep the track at stock tightness to be sure it doesn't flop around on top. Just be aware that a tighter track will wear the sliders faster at the front curve. Mine were done when I got the MP at 800km. I'd go with Dupont sliders or add some marginal snow wheels.

I don't know if it's a 1 or 2 ply but I did find this that says the Ripsaw is 2 ply.
https://sledtrack.com/product-category/camso-snowmobile-tracks/camso-ripsaw-snowmobile-tracks/

Reading the above posts, studding the stock track shouldn't be a problem with the muffler as there is quite a bit of space between them. 2" paddles aren't a problem so a studded 1.25" + 0.10" shouldn't be a problem at all. I'd keep the track at stock tightness to be sure it doesn't flop around on top. Just be aware that a tighter track will wear the sliders faster at the front curve. Mine were done when I got the MP at 800km. I'd go with Dupont sliders or add some marginal snow wheels.

I don't know if it's a 1 or 2 ply but I did find this that says the Ripsaw is 2 ply.
https://sledtrack.com/product-category/camso-snowmobile-tracks/camso-ripsaw-snowmobile-tracks/
Thank you Mooseman appreciate your comments.

Studded my track a couple years ago and have close to 1600 km on them. To date there have been no issues other than loss of a little speed. Not running protection on the muffler or have any issues with exhaust. I have the Stud Boy with Plastic Backers and again no track damage or pull tru issues. I run studs for safety after several hair raising experiences with ice on trails.

Thanks Yammer, how many studs are you running and what length did you use?

1.325 with 96 up the centre and I have to say only problem was the snow flap which is showing a little wear from backing up into snow banks. No regrets.

Attachments

• 62C7A6D8-8C83-47C7-A9BD-3148B6EADADA.jpeg
    62C7A6D8-8C83-47C7-A9BD-3148B6EADADA.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 188

Back