• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Leak on new Viper - Final Update

MNUser

Expert
I noticed tonight that there is a small puddle on the garage floor right below nose in the front. It is about 2 inches in diameter. It appears to be engine oil. It does not have that slimy coolant feel. My question is this for those of you that have torn yours apart. Could the engine oil over flow like the one found on the nytros dump in the front?

Here is why I ask. Yesterday my son was close to laying it on its side but he sacrificed his body. It may have been enough to force some oil out.

Here are a couple of picks of where it is dripping from. It took 24 hours to make that puddle. It is coming out that slot in the picture. You can see the shiny fluid in the upper corner of the picture.

UPDATE:

Took it in to the dealer tonight and they tore the plastics off. The problem was the lower radiator hose was lose and fluid was being pushed out. It was low so they tightened it and checked it over. Topped it off and then pressure tested it. All is good. Glad I took it in so it could be logged and a report filed with Yamaha.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 729
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 847

Its funny you posted this... I have a leak of coolant in that same location. Haven't even rode it. I did what the manual says "run for 15 minutes" 2 days ago... anyways. I wiped it up and started the sled today to let the system build pressure and have no idea where its coming from since i didn't see anything. so i shut it off and will wait until Sunday to check and see if its back. Ill also pressure test the system on monday and see if it holds. the coolant over flow tank is right at the max. hopefully they spilled adding coolant during setup.

this image is directly behind the frogzskin on front hood piece right below radiator.

is that the same spot?

subaru2006

Thanks for the reply. That could be the issue. I ran mine for about 10 minutes tonight and no drips. It was so far in the front that I just can't see it being oil. If the over flow is that full, some could have squeezed out. I'm going to swing by the dealer in the am and visit with them.

I will report back.

May it came out the overflow tube on coolant tank when it got put on its side . That happened on my nytro one time to

Mine has only been upright. Haven't even rode it. The over flow tube goes all the way down to the belly pan and sits on the door you remove to change oil.

Subaru2006

09nytro said:
May it came out the overflow tube on coolant tank when it got put on its side . That happened on my nytro one time to

Stopped by the dealer today and we looked one over. We think it is anti freeze. It may have been some over flow. I will be keeping a close eye on it. Going to ride it today. If I notice another puddle it will go in for them to look at.

Keep me posted as I think we have the same situation going on. Did they pressure test the system?

Subaru2006

Check the clamps on your coolant hoses especially behind the radiator. Rumor has it some could be not tight enough

If I'm not mistaking there are two hoses on the radiator. One on top one on bottom. Both easily accessible.

I ran mine to operating temp. The fan kicked on and I check all hoses and clamps I could see or reach and didn't see it leaking. I'm going to pressure test the system on Monday and see. Like said earlier hopefully its spillage..

Subaru2006

sheetwright said:
Check the clamps on your coolant hoses especially behind the radiator. Rumor has it some could be not tight enough

Just picked up my LTX-SE, it leaked a little coolant on the 15 minute idle as well.
Not too worried about it.

There is a coolant leak concern on the Vipers. Apparently the hose connections do not seal is colder conditions. My Viper dripped coolant every morning but seemed to stop leaking when the engine was at operating temperature. In 350 miles I lost about 10 ounces of coolant. Other Viper owners I encountered had the same problem.

The small coolant line directly under the header will leak if the clamp is not very tight, the rubber hose is a loose fit on the barb. You need to remove gas tank and heat shield to get to it.

Road twice this weekend and no more puddles. Went in to the dealer this weekend and spoke with the lead mechanic who is one of the most helpful guys ever. He said it is not uncommon for it to leak a little fluid when new. He said if it creates another puddle to bring it in and they will check it out.

Back