• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil Lines Under The Muffler

cannondale27

Staff member
Vendor
Took the muffler off for my 300mi chaincase adjustment. Chain tensioner took 2.5 turn with fingers to tighten and 1/4 turn back. Nothing abnormal there. I then took a look around since I never had muffler off. Came up with two rub points. This one is almost through. Is only a vent line I believe but still.

Attachments

• DSC00584.JPG
    DSC00584.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 750
  • DSC00585.JPG
    DSC00585.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 762

If you rotate the hose by loosening both clamps it will create clearance. I also added a hose to prevent rubbing.

Attachments

• DSC00588.JPG
    DSC00588.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 787
This Oeticker clamp had the crimp rubbing on the rubber oil line next to it. This would be bad if it wore through. I was able to rotate the whole hose to get the crimp in a safe place as shown.

Attachments

• DSC00588.JPG
    DSC00588.JPG
    270 KB · Views: 786
One more tip. Put some electrical tape or a blob of Silicone on spring as so. Then when you reinstall muffler the spring will stay in a accessible position without falling into neverland.

Attachments

• DSC00589.JPG
    DSC00589.JPG
    202.5 KB · Views: 771
When I took off muffler gasket split. I am going to try reusing since looks pretty good to me. Mine also had 3 bolts. I bet the fourth is for alignment at factory.

Attachments

• DSC00587.JPG
    DSC00587.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 715
man , i never looked at anything when i took off my muffler to adjust chain , looks like i will have to pull it back off to have a look at that stuff

thanks for the heads up !

Anybody remember who was making the copper muffler gasket ?? I'm thinking if the chain needs to be adjusted every 500 miles that's going to be alot of gaskets which I believe currently are not available. Odds are you're going to destroy a few gaskets with this procedure.

Good to know Steve!

I saw you and your little ones heading toward the river on Tuesday.

A guy on HCS had his new turbo burn to the ground from an oil line snafu. I found my injection line behind the muffler almost worn through. Yikes!

cannondale27 said:
When I took off muffler gasket split. I am going to try reusing since looks pretty good to me. Mine also had 3 bolts. I bet the fourth is for alignment at factory.

My gasket split also. They looked fine. I re-used them.

It looked like I had two gaskets on the joint. One on the muffler, one on the pipe. Then the thin part that split.
I used a bungee cord to hold the pipe out of the way so not to damage the gaskets when re-installing the muffler.

Good tip on the spring. Mine took a flight to never never land. Long magnets sure come in handy.

I dont think its needed on gasket. No leaks. Just reused one on there. Maybe it is designed like that.

I put an extra bolt in my muffler flange. Just didn't think it looked right with that extra hole.

For the spring I made a tool with a small hook on the end from apiece of wire, takes only seconds to unhook and hook up the spring. Accually had the tool from the 2 stroke days from use on the exhaust springs.
Good tip on the use of the bungee cord. Don't know what I cut my thumb on, but had blood every where.

Back