TY 4 Stroke - Totallyamaha Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MemberlistPosting Rules  MemberlistTY Chat SearchYamaha Parts FinderMemberlistOn-Line Store MemberlistVIP

Log in to check your private messagesActive Topic (24h)  (12h)  Log in to check your private messagesMapMemberlistTY.NET Classifieds Log in to check your private messagesTY Webmail

MemberlistTY Tech

MemberlistTY Home

MemberlistTY Forum

MemberlistATV Forum

Grinding sound?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TY 4 Stroke - Totallyamaha Forum Index -> FX Nytro General Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
08nytro136

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Grinding sound? Reply with quote

Grinding sound coming from I think the clutch side while riding in deep powder at speeds between 60-75, I adjusted the chain not to long ago to tighten it, but I put it back to normal because it wasn't running right and was giving me a whistling sound at higher speeds, the whistling sound is gone but now this sound appeared. Can't figure out what it is Head Bang
1991 arctic cat 440 l/c (blown)
poor farmer/logger
Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check your bearings?
nate007
Moderator Life
Moderator Life

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please add your location to your site profile, thanks.

You said when riding in deep powder, have you checked your track tensionas well? If the track ratchets it will make a heck of grinding sound, and if it's too loose it may make that whirring noise at high speeds as well, simply by the way it's making contact with the drivers. This can be especially likely if you're running stock drivers, and a longer track will ratchet easier than a shorty in deep powder.

Also like poorfarmer/logger said, check your bearings, especially the driveshaft bearing on the chaincase side.
Also pull the chaincase dipstick and look for metal fragments. You will likely see some sparkles in the oil, but shouldn't see anything big enough to make out it's shape, if that makes sense?I'd hesitate to say nothing bigger than a grain of sand or salt or something, but I'd open the chain case up if there's anything big enough to actually see what shape the metal fragment is.
If you do, it's likely that it's a bearing going out and the metal is part of the draveshaft, so check for any oil leaking out of the chaincase from the tunnel side.

08nytro136

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering, I do have oil leaking but I haven't determined where so I'm think it is a bearing, just wondering but how hard is it to replace this bearing? Thanks for all the help
1991 arctic cat 440 l/c (blown)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TY 4 Stroke - Totallyamaha Forum Index -> FX Nytro General Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: