• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trying The 8DN BELT

YamahaTim

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Yamaha Viper LTX SE MPI Turbo
Here is a picture of how high the 8DN sits in the secondary. This so you guys can go off of. now on the back side of the secondary there should already be one washer there. you will just need to add that exact same washer to it and thats what i did to shim it for the 8DN belt. the picture should show the deflection. i have over 500 miles on the belt now and no issues. i can beat the crap out of it jump off the sled rip off the side panel and put my hands on the clutch and its not that hot. where as my stock belt was super hot! hope this helps everyone. ;)!

Attachments

• 20140210_104956.jpg
    20140210_104956.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 1,459

Not to be an #*$&@ , but that pic doesn't show belt deflection !
Put a streight edge across both clutches ( on top ) then push down on belt and measure from top of belt to bottom edge , that would be the deflection .

09nytro said:
Not to be an #*$&@ , but that pic doesn't show belt deflection !
Put a streight edge across both clutches ( on top ) then push down on belt and measure from top of belt to bottom edge , that would be the deflection .

Lol...I meant just how high it sits over the secondary sheeves.

I certainly don't disagree with what you are doing, and I did read the other thread "Clutching Answers". I think it's great you found a solution and that the 8DN belt will work. One thing I will point out though .... The adjustment of adding a washer will enable the secondary clutch to close further thus driving your belt to ride in the ride spot - as you have pointed out. However, you might not be able to add any more washers over time. Adding a third washer I believe will be equivalent to removing the bolts altogether and the sheave can't close any further. So what I'm getting at is you pretty much don't leave yourself any room for adjustment as the belt wears.

Just thought I would point that out .....

gade-thrasher said:
I certainly don't disagree with what you are doing, and I did read the other thread "Clutching Answers". I think it's great you found a solution and that the 8DN belt will work. One thing I will point out though .... The adjustment of adding a washer will enable the secondary clutch to close further thus driving your belt to ride in the ride spot - as you have pointed out. However, you might not be able to add any more washers over time. Adding a third washer I believe will be equivalent to removing the bolts altogether and the sheave can't close any further. So what I'm getting at is you pretty much don't leave yourself any room for adjustment as the belt wears.

Just thought I would point that out .....

I have never had a belt wear that far. I have however on many occasions had the bolts wear short and have to be replaced, I usually carry extras...lol.

That is a good point on adjustability. However we have had 4 stroke yamaha sleds personally that have run 4500 miles and still counting and never had to make the adjustments on them. That is using the 8dn belt. Hopefully the belts work and work for a long time. I'll be trying this on mine to see it there is any noticeable difference however I haven't really been experiencing any clutch issues so it will just be a matter of if there is better performance rather than clearing up clutching issues.

Like to point out I got the idea to try this after seeing Tim's dealer put the 8DN on. I was curious and compared the belts and in my opinion the Viper belt is being crushed and that is the source of the issue. My opinion of course. Compare the two belts in thickness on the contact surface see if you agree.

But...this really did work for me and obviously Tim.

I will be trying this setup and switching between the two during a radar run just to see. I know its not 100% accurate but have high hopes.

Superfletch said:
I will be trying this setup and switching between the two during a radar run just to see. I know its not 100% accurate but have high hopes.

Might want to make sure the belt rides just above the sheave as per Tim's pic. Without the belt riding just above the sheave your results might not be totally accurate.

That's why I put this picture in so you guys could see. Well heck it worked for me I'm sure it will work for others. I agree that it's collapsing the belt. That would explain me breaking 4 belts. I have more miles on the 8dn belt than I had one each stock belt that broke. They only lasted around 350 miles, but I had issues since each belt was new. I'm happy and I think if some people start doing it there will be more! It does change the performance of the sled! ;)!

Wow, my 8DN does not even ride that far up on the secondary. I litterally just through the belt on with no shimming and it fit good. The belt height is over the secondary but not by much. The 8JP stock belt was below the secondary.

Put some some miles on today and the 8DN is working way better for me than the stock belt.

loudelectronics said:
Wow, my 8DN does not even ride that far up on the secondary. I litterally just through the belt on with no shimming and it fit good. The belt height is over the secondary but not by much. The 8JP stock belt was below the secondary.

Put some some miles on today and the 8DN is working way better for me than the stock belt.

That's awesome!! So a pretty easy fix and it works great, and maybe get some more performance out of her! :Rockon:

Superfletch said:

Interested to see your results :yam:

Why do you want the wrong belt on your sled? The Viper belt is the same as Nytro just different length. Not to mention its only $100 for the correct belt.

RX ROB said:
Why do you want the wrong belt on your sled? The Viper belt is the same as Nytro just different length. Not to mention its only $100 for the correct belt.

The 8DN is a proven belt and is cheaper and like me some people are having problems with the stock belt. So this was whit I found to work. The stock belt won't hold up for me I keep breaking them. The 8DN holds up and have not broke one yet! So I'm sticking with it.

Back