• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

SCHMIDT BROS. AIR BOX MOD

hognit09

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 viper ltx le,2016 viper ltx dx
just wondering you guys think schmidt bros. airbox mod would be the same as the hurricane mod airbox, gonna put on hindle exhaust but don"t have the airbox mod. $60.00 is alot less than $150.00

If you buy the hurricane hindle kit it's comes with the air box lid thats part of the mod. The mod consists of three holes on the lid with frog skins over them and then a 4" hole in the bottom of the air box that you do yourself with a 4" hole saw.

I bought a used hindle exhaust and Pcv, didn't come with hurricane modded box. Wondering if gonna have the same air flow

Is it suppose to have the 4" hole cut in the bottom, especially without a frogskin

It is supposed to have the hole cut in the bottom. I don't think snow will ever get in there but even if it does it still has to go through the screen on the inside of the air box. I haven't had any problems with mine

13NytroXTX said:
It is supposed to have the hole cut in the bottom. I don't think snow will ever get in there but even if it does it still has to go through the screen on the inside of the air box. I haven't had any problems with mine

I figured that the 3 holes in the lid would provide enough air.

Ive got the Schmidt bros mod. I don't think there would be as much flow as the hurricane mod. I've only seen the hurricane mod in pictures but it looks like just the frog skins for filter no foam or anything. The nine modules from Schmidt bros each have a plastic frame work that reduces the air volume a bit and foam filters inside that and no hole in the bottom of the airbox. Also the hurricane holes are at the top of the lid and the Schmidt bros are at the bottom of the lid and they claim they are placed for maximum effect. Do you know what the previous owner had for mods. I'm guessing your pcv is mapped for the hurricane mod and more or less air would need slight map tweeking for best results. Anyone know where the hole in the bottom of the airbox is positioned in the hurricane mod? I was thinking of adding maybe a 2 1/2 or 3 inch hole in mine for extra flow.

There's a flat spot on the bottom of our air boxes and that's where a 3-1/2" hole is best to drill. I drilled mine as per hurricanes instructions, 8000km no problems with snow getting in and it makes all the difference for performance, but a programmer is highly recommended.

Dodge Ram said:
I would say you'll be fine with the SB lid. The idea is just for more air. The Hindle just has the holes closer to the intakes.

Hurricanes holes are placed in a specific location for the best possible air flow and are less restrictive than The SB mod

Gonna go with either the k&n or hurricane lid mod, prolly the lid mod. Shadow44 how much weight did you have to add to your drag n flys, and were did you add the weight, tryin to get a starting point for my 2-speed weights

Back