• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

M7 Skid Installed w/162" track

Trxster

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Well, finally got my M7 153" skid installed in my 03' RX1M. It really looks good. The angle of attack is so much flatter now. Can't wait to see how it rides. My thanks to Rideblue and Hotrodrooster for the info and help. For my setup, it was pretty easy. Used the stock front holes and had to fabricate some brackets out of 1/4" alum for the back. I ended up oversizing the brackets and drilled 3 holes in the bracket for height adjustability. I also got the MPI tunnel extension. Now, just need to get a 5" pivot riser, new grips, and hand guards and I am in business.

RT

You should post a photo of the installation. Also, did you weigh the M7 skid. I'm curious as to the weight savings.

I am just waiting for my rails for my m7 skid. I am going with the 162 track and 162 rails with a new tunnel with a drop and roll. Just wondering how much distance is there between the drivers and the rail tips with the 153 rails? I was just a little worried about spearing a rail tip with that much of a pull back so I opted for the 162's. I weighed all the stock parts and I am guessing with the rails the skid will be under 50 lbs running two wheels on the rear. I am building all cromo arms and am shooting for 45lbs. I have a light weighted sc10 in my SRX that is just under 48 lbs but I know I can do better, I guess we'll see.

There is about 7" between drivers and rails. I have no idea how you are going to fit 162" rails in there without going to a 166" track but should be interesting. Also, if you haven't done so already, I would reconsider the drop and roll as my angle of attack really looks good with minimal costs. Here are a few pix if I can get them uploaded. I have my sled mounted in the highest postion so you can see the set up. I drilled my holes this afternoon and that really helped loosen up the track.

Rt

Attachments

• IMG_0602.JPG
    IMG_0602.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_0603.JPG
    IMG_0603.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 198
Trxster said:
There is about 7" between drivers and rails. I have no idea how you are going to fit 162" rails in there without going to a 166" track but should be interesting. Also, if you haven't done so already, I would reconsider the drop and roll as my angle of attack really looks good with minimal costs. Here are a few pix if I can get them uploaded. I have my sled mounted in the highest postion so you can see the set up. I drilled my holes this afternoon and that really helped loosen up the track.

Rt

looks sweet trxster. I was told you couldn't put an m7 skid in the rx-1, so i went with the m-10. I think i'll be pretty satisfied with the m-10, but that looks pretty sweet. let us know how she works. rj

Well if you've got 7" of space my rails will only be 4.5" longer than yours (162-153/2=4.5) I should have enough room. I will have to move the front torque arm forward in comparison to yours but thats OK because it will help take weight off the front end. I've done the pull back thing on other sleds and sometimes you end up front heavy. One other thing to remember is that with the drop and roll I'll already be back 2 5/8" compared to stock. I will be able to run 8 tooth 3" pitch drivers with a 2.5" track and still have tons of clearance. If worst comes to worst I'll trim the rails to fit. Thanks for the pics they help. I'll get some posted of my whole project once I figure how to resize them.

Best part about it......skid $400, track $400, drop brackets $60, Bearings/bolts $10.

Now, we will see if she works as good as she looks and feels.

Rt

Trxster said:
Best part about it......skid $400, track $400, drop brackets $60, Bearings/bolts $10.

Now, we will see if she works as good as she looks and feels.

Rt

Where did you get the skid? I have been looking but cannot find any. I am really considering putting the 151 AC skid to fit my 159. I have been told it will fit perfectly. Am I correct that you use the front mounting holes and all you have to do it make the rear drop down bracket? That just seems too easy. Last question, What was the offset for the holes on the rear dropdown brackets?

J

That look's awesome.Hopefully yamaha will fin more weight reduction for next year yet.

If you are looking for AC skids....best place is http://www.rvsports.com

I ordered through Troy...he has all different sizes at different times but gets new ones all the time. Basically sells them for $400 (even put a new H arm on mine). Skid came in very good condition other than the hyfax.

Yes, stock front hole, just needed longer bolt and a bearing/spacer. Brackets were easy to make, just spent some time cutting out cardboard to get shape, then took a small piece of wood and drilled holes at the ends that were 31 1/4" apart (thanks rideblue) and traced the radius on the brackets. I spaced my holes apart about 1.5" but I think I like it in the highest position. It feels very good, better than my wife's Vector Mt but we'll see when I hit the snow.

Looks good trxster. Did you get a chance to weigh the two skids, just curious too see how big of a weight difference. Anythings better than yammies old pro action skid weight wise!

No, didn't weigh it but thought I read about 50 lbs on the stock M7 skid on Snowest. I can tell you this, I can pick up the back of my RX with a 162 (fully clipped) and it is a good couple of bricks (maybe 15 lbs) lighter than my wife's Vector Mt at 151". I just can't wait to try it out.......in pain.

Rt

:4STroke:

I am sure it will be better in the bumps like my wife's Vector Mt is. I can fly through the rough trail with her sled sitting or standing but with my old 03' RX skid I had to do a whole lot of work. I also think it will be much, much, much better in the powder. Had them both out on a 3'+ day and I just flat out kept wanting to get back on the Vector because it stayed right up on top of the powder. Couldn't get it stuck that day even with my 5 year old riding in front of me. Now, that same day I was stuck 3 times on my RX because it has more power and a very steep attack angle so it quickly digs its' own grave. I am really excited to try it. According to those that have......it should work well.

Rt

Back