• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Stud Qty/Pattern Question

Interceptor007

Extreme
Just wondering what you guys think of this pattern. I want to run as few studs as possible, but I want a pattern that won't bend or break them.

I do mostly trail riding and lake/field racing. I know for racing you want alot of studs, but from what i've seen w/ the weight transfer of the Mono on '05's, putting in too many studs is actually hurting them in a long race. I think you can get away w/ less studs with the Apex track/suspension combination, resulting in alot less mass for the engine to have to turn while maintaining traction off the line.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Attachments

• dd96track.jpg
    dd96track.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 717

I think if you were going to try 96 that might be a good one to try because it would not take much to add 2 in the other 24 to bring you up to 144. . I am thinking you may want more that 96 ;)!

I ran 108 Woody's Megabites in a ^ pattern up the middle only on my Warrior and was very pleased. I will not over stud again. Supertrax tested stud patterns on a ZR 900 a year or so back and reported excellent results with only 96.

Yeah, the plan is to add more w/ this pattern if it isn't enough. I saw 3 sleds last year that ran in the begining of the year w/ no studs, then added 192. They did better unstudded.

I plan on running 1.325 Woody's w/ this pattern. I agree Mighty, I think alot of sleds are running overstudded, so I'm going to experiment.

Thanks guys.

We've been around the block a few times on studding. For all around riding 96 in a 121 inch track or 108 in the 136 is about right. For the 1.25 ripsaw 1.325 woody's are a good selection. Current trend is studs up the middle only. We have had good luck both ways. For drag racing you want more dpending on the surface. studdog.

Interceptor007 said:
Yeah, the plan is to add more w/ this pattern if it isn't enough. I saw 3 sleds last year that ran in the begining of the year w/ no studs, then added 192. They did better unstudded.

What do you mean they did better unstudded?

mikedgates said:
What do you mean they did better unstudded?

We ran the sled (05 RX-1) unstudded for the begining of the season. Then we ordered 192 studs for it. When they came in, the sled was running so good on the river behind the house without studs, i wanted to do some experimenting.

so the next morning on the river we ran some runs against 3 sleds. Then did the same in the field (to compensate for condition change). the river was hard pack snow w/ ice underneath and the field was fairly loose snow w/ a thin base.

We then installed the studs the same day and repeated the runs w/ identical conditions. The Rx-1 did not do "as well" in the drags as it did prior to the stud install.

I know 2 other people ('03 MXZ 800, and '04 ZR 900) with 192 and 244 studs respectively that said they felt the same way; that they ran better in long runs before they were studded.

don't get me wrong, I think studs are necessary but I feel there is a happy medium, and a point where u can under and over stud. That is why I am starting low and leaving room to add if I feel I need to

THat is the exact amount of studs and the use of double backers that i plan on using..

I tried 162 studs in my first 04 warrior and it was too much.. Sled really pushed hard.. in corners..

I only used 130 on my second sled and that worked alot better..

I too will only be usinng 96 on my GT with double backers

Interceptor007, if you did not clutch for the 192 studs that's not a fair comparison. The stock clutching is setup for no studs :ORC

I agree, the clutching is not setup for a studded sled in the RX-1. It was however in the other two.

I guees my point is, no matter how much clutching or gearing you do, there is still alot of unnecessary weight that the engine has to turn. With an efficient clutch setup and well designed 96 stud pattern w/ lots of scratch lines, I think you could have all the traction you need.

I'm just guessing though, just wanted to see what everybody else thought.

I don't think so. Spreading them out increases the stress on them, they'd be stronger the closer together they are.

This pattern gives you 12 scratch lines also. The same number of lines that Woody's says their individual 96 pattern has.

I too want to stud & want little as possible without ripping them out. Hard trail riding may be tough on the 96, depending on the conditions.
I never ran less than 144 and have had 168 & 192 also. I want to put 96 in my apex but hate to rip some out before find that its too few.
Those with stud experience keep the suggestions coming.

Back