• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

RX-1 Stage III Ulmer Kit - No more engine braking?

Jack_Shaft

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Wow, does this thing ever haul now.

Only one side effect that I wasn't expecting: engine braking effect is pretty much gone!

Anybody else experience this? It doesn't bother me at all, I am just curious since nobody else here seemed to mention it.

-JS

How do you like it? I am planning to get one this off season. I am going to put a 136" Hartman rail and tunnel extension to help the hookup and off trail stuff. Does it ride like stock and just pulls harder or does it change the engagement too high and make the ride too aggressive? I am not sure if I will like not having the engine braking. We'll have to see.

Otis

03 RX-1 ECP with evac, Pioneer wide front end kit, Apex RTX skid, 04 CDI box, light weight battery conversion, ceramic coated QC-1 white knuckle exhaust, simmons skis

Coming soon... Hartman 136" rail and tunel extension, bergrstrom triple point carbides, Ulmer stage 3 clutch kit

otis said:
How do you like it? I am planning to get one this off season. I am going to put a 136" Hartman rail and tunnel extension to help the hookup and off trail stuff. Does it ride like stock and just pulls harder or does it change the engagement too high and make the ride too aggressive? I am not sure if I will like not having the engine braking. We'll have to see.Otis

Otis,

I have to say that I only managed to get about 2km's on it last night since I was mostly dialing in my rear suspension and running in/out of my garage for adjustments.

Seems to haul like a son of a gun and my first impressions vs. the Bender kits (i.e. heelclickers) that I have tried in the past are that it really shifts fast and pulls really hard on the bottom end/midrange, right where I need it. I am running 24/40 gearing and when initially replaced my 121" stocker with a 136" RipSaw (1.25") my sled felt like a dog using the stock clutch settings. Now it's alive again... feels very strong.

I am not so sure I like losing the engine braking effect since I had really adapted to it / liked it, but I'm sure I'll get over that. Maybe I'll even find a quick way to get it back.

BTW, I also run a Hartman 136" extension and every time I look at it I get happier that I sent the MPI extension back! Great kit, very clean.

-JS

136" extension

Guys,
How do you like the 136" extension on the 05 mono? I have heard that it can stretch the track if you run it tight enough to keep it from ratcheting. At the end of the suspension stroke does the track tightens up some or have you not had a problem? Did you guys go with hyfax extensions or not? Does it really matter? Would you get the 1.5" RipSaw or stay with the 1.25"? Would the 1.5" need modifications to run like 8" drivers or extroverts to keep from ratcheting and hitting anything? Any input would be helpful. How hard is it to take the track off? Has anyone laid out a nice set of instructions?

Otis

Ive got over 2000 miles on my hartman extension since I converted it earlier in the year.I run the track about 1.25" of sag,no problems.

1.5 " track needs no mods to fit.I went with the 1.25" just because I wanted to stud it for the icy trails we always seem to have here in lower MI.Im putting a 2" track on mine today ill post some pics.

The tracks USA extensions $99.00 are the nicest looking,they have the hyfax extensions built in to them and unless your really looking you wouldnt even realize the rails even have an extension(seen some on a zr 900).

I have the hartman extensions they do not have hyfax extensions but can be added for another 80.00.They have held up fine and not having the longer hyfax has not been a problem but ill be ordering the Tracks USA extensions as soon as I have to replace hyfax,which wont be long.

Back